I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

V-AFC Harness?

Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xgodxicex is an unknown quantity at this point
V-AFC Harness?

Does anyone know if there is a V-AFC harness to make the installation of the V-AFC easier on a 2k2 civic ex? I want to get the V-AFC but i dont want to hard wire it because A. im car-electrical illiterate, B. i dont want to cut my wires, C. i dont wanna screw anything up.....

thanks
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
does the V-afc piggyback, or do you put it inline between the computer and everything else?

if you are jsut putting it on top of the existing wiring, t-taps are all you need, a cmpletely non-destructive way to install anything on an already existing electrical system....
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
You need taps, but some wires have to be cut and rerouted. VAFC is a huge pain and won't even work on our cars. VAFCII comes with a harness, so all you do is tap or splice the ecu wires under the glovebox. And it works fine.
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit
does the V-afc piggyback, or do you put it inline between the computer and everything else?

if you are jsut putting it on top of the existing wiring, t-taps are all you need, a cmpletely non-destructive way to install anything on an already existing electrical system....
sorry, but could u elaborate a bit on what a t-tap is? like i said, ive never done anything dealing with car electrical stuff or car audio, so i have no idea...

also, with those t-taps... possibility of failure?

and, i read up somewhere that diodes need to be installed for the vafc to work... did they fix that in the vafc 2? thanks
Old 06-09-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
vafcii was just connecting wires together. Basically you strip the wires and wrap them together. Then put a little metal clamp and squeeze it closed with pliars. It's not very good, and soldering would be better. I'm too lazy to redo mine but probably should for the strongest connection.
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
a t-tap is a very handy invention. its a plastic clip that clamps onto the waire, no cutting or stripping required.

slip the ttap into place, then clamp down on it with standard pliers, and the wire has been tapped. remove teh t-tap in the future if you wish, or leave it there, either way the install is clean. then to connect a wire to the t-tap, crimp on a male spade to the wire you are tapping into that t-tap, and plug it in. want ot disconnect it? simply unplug it. nice and easy quick disconnect. and more reliable than a scotchlock, too.
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

ooo! got a link to where i could buy these T-Taps? and those male spades
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

I buy mine from shops. I just ask them for t-taps and connectors. they ask me what color. yours should be blue. reds are slightly smaller, yellow are for slightly bigger wire.
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

so what exactly do i do? snip the wire, strip a little bit off the tip, and crimp on a male connector? or is there a special way to put on the connector....

im looking for the simplest, cleanest, hardest-to-screw-up way to go since this is gunna be my first time messing with wiring in the car
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

lets say your Vafc says tap into the speed sense wire. not intterupt it, jsut tap into it.

your harness on the vafc will be a free end, you stip that and crimp on the male spade. you are done cutting

find the speed sense wire in the car, find the location you will tap. place hte t-tap around the wire, you stil havent cut anything. close the ttap as far as you can, it wont be very far, and youll have ot hold it shut with yoru hands while you get the pliers into position.

now put the pliers on and squish the ttap closed. itll automatically make a connection, youve cut nothing, stripped nothing, damaged nothing. jsut two small holes in the insulation, all within the ttap. to connect the vafc, simply connect the male spade into the ttap, and its spliced together, reliably and without damaging the vehicle.

did you splice the wrong wire? no worries, pull out the t-tap. or leave it in, it doesnt matte,r hte holes do a pretty good job of closing up. or tape it if you wish.

i just leave them and tap another wire. the taps are self insulated too, they will never short out.

have fun!
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

oh wow that sounds so friggin easy, i thought i was gunna dive into that ecu harness with friggin wire cutters and wire strippers.... well that definatly cleared up a TON of questions, thanks all!