I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HP Filter High, Can I Use Bass Eq?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
What are the min and max values .... plus whats the max ouput voltage of the HU?
Old 04-30-2004
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
The owners manual doesn't say. Here is a link to the Owners manual on alpine,

http://www.alpine-usa.com/

The outputs on my HU are 4V, I have an Alpine CDA-7893 Unit.
Old 04-30-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
The 7893 has 4v sub preout, and 2v front and rear preouts.
Old 04-30-2004
Extreme Member

yea, I just looked at the specs and your right, Maximum Pre-Out Voltage 2V/10K Ohms. Does that mean I have to adjust the gain even lower or something?
Old 05-01-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by ZSKCivic01
Ok, let me tell you this then. At one point, I had my amplifier professionally tuned with this new set of XRs. Here's what happened at the time that caused me to have to change the settings. Basically, when my car was at rest, in the garage for instance, and I was listening to my components at a high volume, even with the gain half-way set, the speakers didn't make this cracking/popping noise. But when I started driving, the tweeters just start doing it all of a sudden. When I got it professionally done, the people obviously didn't hear the cracking because it was at rest. Well they told me that it didn't have anything to do with tuning, and that id have to pay to get the entire system looked over. Now I know for a fact that the XR crossovers are good, I switched them with my old ones and the same thing happened. I also know that my wiring is perfect, power wire on one side, RCAs on the other. I am just starting to think that it has to do with the type of amplifier that I have as well as the aluminum dome on these tweeters. But whatever, right now I have the HPF pretty high and the gain a notch below half and on the XR Crossovers I have the jumper set to High Mid Bass and I have some midbass coming from them, it isn't all flat anymore in the front. I want to say that for this particular setup, the amplifier has to have a high HPF in order to comply with the components, some amps may work differently with some speakers than others. But thats what I think.
thats engine noise, they were right, its not based on tuning at all.
Old 05-01-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
you can often get rid of the static by gaining down on the amp, EQ up would have the same effect. I think you found the problem
Old 05-01-2004
Extreme Member

This is going to seem pretty stupid since I have been posting so much, but yesterday I was messing with the settings on my amplifier, I turned the gain down another notch, so it is only a quarter of the way up now. The volume went down somewhat, but the static didn't come through the tweeters. It is weird because if I recall, when the gain was set that low, there was still static. But anyways, so far I haven't heard any static and I set the tweeter jumper in the XR Crossovers to +1.5dB and the mid jumper to high mid and it sounds really good now. The only thing is that from what someone told me, if the pre-outs are 2V, then the gain should be set 1/4 of that, or something like that. If thats the case, I would think that the gain could go up higher than a quarter of the way on the ****. Maybe im still unclear about how the gain works. If someone could enlighten me again, it may be helpful.
Old 05-01-2004
Registered!!

the gain is used to match up the voltage of the radio to the input stage of the amplifier. setting it to 9 volts when the radio puts out 2 volts underdrives the amplifier, while setting it to .25 volts when the radio puts out 4 volts has the potential to clip the crap out of your amp!

contrary to popular belief, its not another volume ****!

this isnt to say that you need to set your amp gain to the 4V position if your radio is rated for 4 volts out, there is a balence. the bottom line is that it doesnt matter whether its 1/4 the way down, 1/4th the way up, or pointing at the 1.5V tick notch. its set in the position that provides hte best clarity of sound if you like quality, and the position that provides the greatest potential for volume without harming the speaker for block-rockers.

its probbaly the #1 reason enthusiasts retune their amps from shop settings. some tune for quality, some for max volume before safety. and itll be the opposite of what the consumer wanted.