I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

sealed qform kick panels installed!!! (with pics)

Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gliph is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking sealed qform kick panels installed!!! (with pics)

I am finally finished with my speaker install.... I can hardly believe it! First of all I would like to thank everyone who has helped with their posts, given ideas, suggestions, etc, etc. This wouldn't be finished or sound half as amazing if it wasn't for all of you! Definite thanks to mohawk, whiterabbit, regularjoe just to name a few... and props to my wife for thinking outside the box and coming up with this idea...

I wanted to post some pics and info on my q-form install. There is no way i'd be able to do a fiberglass enclosure to make sure these things were sealed, I have zero experience with that stuff and i wasn't going to take the time to learn... So my wife came up with a different idea... a coffee can... it sounds a bit crazy, but it is the PERFECT diameter for 6.5" components and for use with q-forms. I ended up using several layers of fatmat to strengthen them up and make sure they didn't resonate like crazy. As you can see in the pics below they ended up being around .5 cu.ft. (rough estimate) and sound AMAZING. I can put together a DIY if people are interested, I thought i'd try it first to make sure it acutally works and sounds good....

Feedback would definitely be appreciated... btw, the q-forms look like a$$ right now, they are very easy to chip up when cutting holes and doing like 5,000 test fits... anyone know where i can pick up some touch up paint?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qform-back.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	7294  

Last edited by gliph; 08-17-2003 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

here is what the inside looks like minus the speaker... not the prettiest, but you can't see it anyway...

Name:	qform-front.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	7295  
Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

and here's how it looks completely installed... the can makes the qform stick out a little more, but cutting back the carpet behind the qform takes care of it....

Name:	qform-in.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	7296  
Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

Civicly02 will become famous soon enoughCivicly02 will become famous soon enough
looks good how does it sound?
Old 08-17-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
sounds ghetto using a coffee can but as long as it sounds sweet no one will ever know. looks good.
Old 08-17-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
i would highly advise for you to spray the inside of the can with rubberized undercoating. the aluminum in the can is gonna resonate like you wouldnt believe
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
why not make a fiberglass molding of the coffee can? so you don't have that problem with metal cans..

EDIT: while you at it, you can sell it for anyone that wants it for their q-form...oh yeah, forgot to say good job

Last edited by wonderz; 08-18-2003 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
also, you might find that the seal you made for your kick limits your low end extension because of such a small enclosure...

not trying to rain on your parade, just being realistic
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually checked out the resonating factor and all that, and it is fine. The can has two laters of fatmat and the qform does also, it is very solid. In regards to it being a small enclosure, I talked with a tech from Diamond before making the enclosure, he recommended the .5 cubic foot size.

The SQ is really amazing. Seriously. I cannot believe the difference. This install was completely done to make a difference in the SQ of the system. In regards to producing the midbass, it is great. My door speakers used to rattle like CRAZY when I would play certain songs, these are stable and I don't have any rattles. I'm a big techno fan and I have a few songs that have nice size frequency sweeps in them, they sound GREAT. You'd think a small aircraft was landing on my car... I also have a 12" sub in the trunk in a pretty small enclosure... around 1.1 cu.ft. I have the lp crossover set pretty high around 150hz and the hp crossover for the components set about 120 or so. it seems to be fine.

ludlam, thanks for the suggestion on the kicker 600.4 amp. you suggested it to me a while ago and I am really happy with it... it does the job great!

Thanks again for all of your feedback. Like I said in the first post, the only reason I could even get this done is because of this forum!

Last edited by gliph; 08-18-2003 at 08:10 AM.