Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

03-05 cluster to 01-02 Problem

Old 12-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FelipeJaimes is an unknown quantity at this point
03-05 cluster to 01-02 Problem

I have a 2002 civic ex coupe and i put a cluster from a 2005 ex coupe. I depinned all the connections from the blue and green plugs and put them in the way youre supposed to and i got the battery, abs and highbeam lights come on. The weird thing is the abs light only comes on when i turn on the headlights. But goes off when the headlights are off and if the highbeams are on. The highbeam light is on when i turn on the regular headlights. The battery light is on constantly. If the wires are in correctly why do i have these problems?
i used this diagram. Also included what the cluster looks like and the plugs(on both sides) so yall can check if the wires are in the right place incase im blind and put them in wrong.

Old 12-13-2018
Registered!!

Re: 03-05 cluster to 01-02 Problem

When i was at the junkyard getting the cluster i took pictures of the two plugs. I was looking back at the pictures and was comparing them to my plugs and noticed there was one extra green/black wire on the blue plug from the car at the junkyard. Its on pin 15. I looked at the diagram and it says thats its for automatic transmission, but the car i got it from was a manual! So whats going on? Is the diagram wrong or did Honda use the same harness for both auto and manual? Im gonna go back this weekend and get the harness to see if anything changes. Heres a picture of the plug from the junkyard
Old 12-14-2018
Registered!!

i also got one off a sedan blue ring one. Same thing.
Old 12-15-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Your blue connector has blue/red when it should have red/blue.
Your green connector has red/blue when it should have blue/red.

It also looks like you have an extra white/red wire in the green connector. When I did mine I taped off the second one so I didn't risk shorting something out in the cluster. I would remove the white/red in the corner of the green connector (your sheet says it's pin 10, my sheet says it's pin A1. Not sure who is wrong).

See if that takes care of your issue.

Last edited by BrotatoChip; 12-15-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2018
Registered!!

Awesome! Thanks, i didnt know red/blue and blue/red were different. Now i just have that battery light. Its probably something different. ill have to look into it. Really thanks tho!

and i took off the *white*/red one. I put it on before to see if ittl make a difference but it didnt obviously.

I didnt see ur message until after i took off the harness from the junkyard car. That was a pain to get off. Oh well, i got an extra harness and wires just incase now. I’ll actually put it on one day to see if ittl make a difference and i’ll come back here for an update.

Old 01-16-2020
1st time Honda owner

EX2002Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question guys...I just swapped out my 02 EX cluster for a 03 04 or 05 (not sure because I only paid attention to the type of transmission it had). I unpinned and repinned according to the several diagrams floating around on here and everything works fine except for one thing...my temperature gauge. Any ideas or possible solutions? I will say that the one extra wire that was extra, I just plugged into an empty slot on the green plug. I can verify if anyone thinks that moght be the problem but otherwise, what did I do wrong? TIA
Old 01-16-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by EX2002Civic
Quick question guys...I just swapped out my 02 EX cluster for a 03 04 or 05 (not sure because I only paid attention to the type of transmission it had). I unpinned and repinned according to the several diagrams floating around on here and everything works fine except for one thing...my temperature gauge. Any ideas or possible solutions? I will say that the one extra wire that was extra, I just plugged into an empty slot on the green plug. I can verify if anyone thinks that moght be the problem but otherwise, what did I do wrong? TIA
Hmm. Idk i have to see what your connections looks like so we can compare it to mine. Take some clear pictures like mine and put them on here
Old 01-26-2020
1st time Honda owner

here are the pictures. Everything works fine except for my temperature gauge. The needle doesn'tmove at all. TIA for y'alls help.

Last edited by EX2002Civic; 01-26-2020 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to say "Sorry it took me a week to get around to it but here are the pics."
Old 01-26-2020
1st time Honda owner

Old 01-27-2020
1st time Honda owner

Old 01-27-2020
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Temperature gauge is controlled over a communication circuit from the ECM. Are the needles that far off? I'm assuming you weren't actually moving when that picture was taken, and I don't think the temp gauge should ever be that low.
Old 01-27-2020
1st time Honda owner

Yes I was driving. You'll notice in the picture by the mph and rpm as well. So....going back to that communication circuit, how do I check it? If I depin and repin the original cluster, I can isolate the issue being that, (a communication from ecm) or to the gauge cluster itself, wouldn't you say? Thanks again for any and all advice or help. Thanks brotatochip, I'll be close as I'm looking forward to hearing back from you with your next response.
Old 01-27-2020
Super Moderator

I thought the tach looked like the engine was idling so I thought you weren't moving. I was thinking the needle was just off or something.

Anyways, the communication line can't really be checked. You could read voltage on it with respect to ground, should show something I would think. My schematic shows it's a white/green wire running directly to the multiplex unit, pin A2 in the 2001 Civic. There is a section in the service manual for troubleshooting the coolant temp gauge. First step says check fuse 9 (10A) in the under-hood fuse/relay box and fuse 10 (7.5A) in the under-dash fuse/relay box.

If the communication line weren't working I would suspect the door ajar light wouldn't work properly either.
Old 02-02-2020
1st time Honda owner

Oh true, I see what you mean now about not moving.

What is the multiplex unit or what does it look like? Is it the blue plug? green plug? both? Sorry I don't know and if it is the blue or green plug, my diagram shows both pin #2's to be something other than a white/green wire and so that's also part of my confusion, is the "A" part you labeled when said pin A2. Again sorry I can be slow and dense every now and then.

Also, I checked the fuses you told me to check and they were/are good. Lastly, the door ajar light appears to be working fine.

Hope you had a great weekend and TIA for your continued help!
Old 02-03-2020
Super Moderator

Pin A2 would have been for your old cluster, you should have moved this wire to pin A5. A5 would be pin 5 in the green connector. The service manual is showing the blue connector is A but it looks like it's incorrect.

The multiplex unit is part of the under-dash fuse box. The PCM reads the actual coolant temperature sensor then sends it to the multiplex unit over a communication line. The multiplex unit then relays this info along with other data to the cluster. The next steps for troubleshooting the coolant temp gauge says to read faults from the multiplex unit. You'll have to follow the steps in the service manual to do this, the manual I'm using can be found in the thread below. You can also put the cluster in a self diagnostic mode where the gauges will sweep. This way you can confirm the gauge actually works. Another link below with steps to do this.

Cluster self diagnostic:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ster-test.html

Service manual:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...pdated-10.html