Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

2002 Civic, Check Engine Light Doesn't Turn on with start up. Doesn't appear to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legacy84 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic, Check Engine Light Doesn't Turn on with start up. Doesn't appear to work.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX and I bought it used about 4 months ago. Have no issues driving the car, runs great but when I went to get car inspected, they told me the Check Engine Light doesn't work and I would fail Inspection with that. My dashboard light also doesn't light up so hard to see at night and my right turn signal works but doesn't show on the dashboard though you hear it clicking. The seatbelt icons, battery, brakes, all the other icons light up when I put key into ignition to start power up except the CEL light.

I took out the cluster and had 4 bulbs that were blown out that I changed, I don't know what each bulb was for, but just changed them, thinking one of them had to be CEL light, once I put Dashboard Cluster back in, the problem still existed, the CEL light or right turn signal light didn't appear. I also changed the fuses under the driver side for the lights. I don't know what else could be wrong, whether the previous owner did something to electrical or not or what the problem is. I did Diagnostic Check today at Autozone and had no codes,mechanic still says I would fail the inspection cause the CEL light. Need any ideas, suggestions please. Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 12-16-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 Civic, Check Engine Light Doesn't Turn on with start up. Doesn't appear to w

Voltmeter.
Wiring diagram.
Test.

The CEL is supposed to be an LED, along with most of the rest of the idiot lights.

I'll guess the cluster is bad, maybe a burned out trace in the printed circuit or something..

Aftermarket stereo?
Old 12-17-2013
Registered!!

Re: 2002 Civic, Check Engine Light Doesn't Turn on with start up. Doesn't appear to w

Originally Posted by ezone
Voltmeter.
Wiring diagram.
Test.

The CEL is supposed to be an LED, along with most of the rest of the idiot lights.

I'll guess the cluster is bad, maybe a burned out trace in the printed circuit or something..

Aftermarket stereo?

Well the radio looks alil older but it was definitely put in my previous owner you can tell its not the standard radio that would come in the car.

So how would I know if it was burnt out? could i tell if I took out the cluster again?
Old 12-17-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you peruse this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-smoke.html

Aaaaand this thread too: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...sh-lights.html
Old 12-17-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeah, you focusing on CEL, but your problem is dash.
Old 12-17-2013
Registered!!

yeah well your right it is a Dashboard Illumination problem as well, but all the other icons appear, the battery, the oil, the brake, the seat beat light, so all those icons appear when first turning the ignition on the, the only one that does not is the CEL light, but then when they disappear the dashboard is black and does not light up, only thing that lights up is the mileage light.

Yeah the radio is an external radio put in. A portable one you can take inside with you and then click back in when entering the car. I spoke to specific mechanic at Pepboys who works primarily on Honda Civics, an due to other lights working and mostly everything being operational except for CEL light and Dashboard illumination, he thought it could be everything from fuse, to wires, going back thursday to see. I just need to pass my Inspection and that CEL light not appearing briefly when power turns on, its preventing me from passing which every mechanic is warning me off.

I also don't have a Civic Coupe EX I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX. Thanks guys for trying to help out. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 12-18-2013

Originally Posted by Legacy84
yeah well your right it is a Dashboard Illumination problem as well, but all the other icons appear, the battery, the oil, the brake, the seat beat light, so all those icons appear when first turning the ignition on the, the only one that does not is the CEL light, but then when they disappear the dashboard is black and does not light up, only thing that lights up is the mileage light.
Are you trying to say it's not broke or something?

You haven't even pulled out your cluster to see if the printed circuit is burned.
Yeah the radio is an external radio put in. A portable one you can take inside with you and then click back in when entering the car.
Miswiring the radio is what normally wipes out the dash light dimmer circuitry.

Is that related to the CEL inop?
I can't answer that from here.
I know how to figure it out though.

I spoke to specific mechanic at Pepboys who works primarily on Honda Civics, an due to other lights working and mostly everything being operational except for CEL light and Dashboard illumination, he thought it could be everything from fuse, to wires, going back thursday to see.
I'd like to hear the answer.
Then I'd like to hear what really solves the problem.

I just need to pass my Inspection and that CEL light not appearing briefly when power turns on, its preventing me from passing which every mechanic is warning me off.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Yeah.
Originally Posted by ezone
Voltmeter.
Wiring diagram.
Test.
Old 12-18-2013
Registered!!

Hey Ezone, thanks for the help. No I am not saying its not broken. I did take out the cluster though, when I took it to the Tinkers Auto Parts to get specific bulbs, that didn't correct the problem. I was asking if I was to take it out again, how do I tell if the circuit is burnt out or not working? You seem to know a lot more than me with that.

Also how would I be able to tell if miswiring of the radio is what took out the dashboard light? Any suggestions or instructions you can lead me thru? Thanks again for all the help
Old 12-18-2013

how do I tell if the circuit is burnt out or not working?
Did you read the two threads I linked yesterday?

The rest of the answer is
Voltmeter.
Wiring diagram.
Test.
Old 12-18-2013
Registered!!

Ralphalph is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the dash break on my 2002 civic, and when it did the entire cluster died. Sporadically all of the instruments would go to zero, no lights, no indicators. Kind of distracting to have happen on the freeway... I believe it was a $600 repair.
Old 07-27-2022
Registered!!

DaveyMon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Legacy84
I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX and I bought it used about 4 months ago. Have no issues driving the car, runs great but when I went to get car inspected, they told me the Check Engine Light doesn't work and I would fail Inspection with that. My dashboard light also doesn't light up so hard to see at night and my right turn signal works but doesn't show on the dashboard though you hear it clicking. The seatbelt icons, battery, brakes, all the other icons light up when I put key into ignition to start power up except the CEL light.

I took out the cluster and had 4 bulbs that were blown out that I changed, I don't know what each bulb was for, but just changed them, thinking one of them had to be CEL light, once I put Dashboard Cluster back in,
Hey i was curious if you found out what the problem was because i actually have the same exact problem going on in the exact model and year. Right blinker works but no signal and no engine light illumination. It's the exact problem you describe so I'm hoping maybe you can tell me what you found out, also there wasn't a radio installed in mine. It is fully stock and still just not sure what to check out. Some have said ECM but that seems kinda extreme if it's only a couple lights not working, I was wondering if just maybe they might be connected with a certain fuse possibly or something. Most what I've read says NO the check engine light can't be turned off by a fuse but then I've seen a video where the guy was wondering why his wasn't on and then he put an airbag fuse in and the light magically appeared so obviously its gotta be connected to something powered by a fuse.

Last edited by DaveyMon89; 07-27-2022 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 07-27-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Ralphalph
I had the dash break on my 2002 civic, and when it did the entire cluster died. Sporadically all of the instruments would go to zero, no lights, no indicators. Kind of distracting to have happen on the freeway... I believe it was a $600 repair.

Hey there Ezone, so this guy that had problems getting his Engine light MIL CEL to turn on and the right blinker to work, did he ever get it figured out do you know? I have the exact same make and model car and the same exact problem. No CEL and no right blinker light on the dash. Car runs great and I replaced all the bulbs for the gauges. Mines fully stock the radio hasn't ever been touched, I'm trying to figure out what it might be and I'm on a super tight budget and need a Lil advice bro. Anything would be awesome.
Old 07-27-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

huh, 9 years old thread, are you expecting a response?
Old 07-27-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
huh, 9 years old thread, are you expecting a response?
haha I didn't realize it was that old of a thread... Damn it. I just so happened to stumble across this and the same damn thing is going on with my 2002. Same problems to T and so I was like o hell yeah maybe this guy can tell me what he found out. Sounds like he ended up dumping some money into trying to get it figured out.
Old 07-27-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

he only posted 4 times here, all of them n this thread, can't see him being kind enough to reply to you...
these cars are even older now, like ezone said, start checking wires. They are brittle, being rubbed against other stuff for 20 years. Every car can be different, unless you pay us a flight and the stay, meals to check your car ourselves, you will need to do the leg work to check those, no easy answers in electrical issues
Old 07-27-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
he only posted 4 times here, all of them n this thread, can't see him being kind enough to reply to you...
these cars are even older now, like ezone said, start checking wires. They are brittle, being rubbed against other stuff for 20 years. Every car can be different, unless you pay us a flight and the stay, meals to check your car ourselves, you will need to do the leg work to check those, no easy answers in electrical issues
Yeah I plan on it, I just thought I'd ask because for it to be the exact same two light indicators in this situation I thoughtaybe that'd help narrow it down to one thing or another.. The cars in great shape, came from the original owner who literally took it to Honda every time it was due for something... I can't find any wiring diagrams anywhere either which is another reason I was reaching out.
Old 07-28-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Quick guess would be fusebox/controller. Needs to be from the exact same car as yours.
Do some diag first though
Old 07-28-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Quick guess would be fusebox/controller. Needs to be from the exact same car as yours.
Do some diag first though

. O alright I'll look into that thanks man. Any good places you recommend for the diagram? Lol I keep getting pages that just want money and just wanna make sure I get the right one from somewhere legit
Old 07-28-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

There's a link to the factory manual on here