Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Door locks when shut, but won't lock when open

Old 06-30-2012
NoH
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NoH is an unknown quantity at this point
Door locks when shut, but won't lock when open

Hello all. I searched around and didn't see a post similar to what I have going on. If there already is a post like this please accept my apologies. I just recently bought a 2001 Civic LX and I noticed that at first the driver side door could be cracked open a little bit when locked. It couldn't be opened completely in order to gain access to the vehicle, but cracked open just a little bit. I recently took the door panel off in order to replace the speakers and after putting everything back on it no longer had this issue, but now it can only be locked while the door is shut and not while it is open. I can shut the door and lock it with my key on the outside or I can lock the door manually/or with the power locks while inside the vehicle. Obviously this isn't a major inconvenience, but I'm mostly just curious about what this could be. I noticed a lot of other posts about door lock actuators. Could that be the problem?

Many thanks for your time.
The following users liked this post:
Noe Turrubiates (10-24-2023)
Old 06-30-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Door locks when shut, but won't lock when open

If you press the lock button on the inside while you are inside the car than your actuator is not broken
Old 06-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It is built that way. You can't change it.

Open the drivers door.

Pull out on either handle.

Lock the door.

Let go of the handle.

Shut the door.

RTFM page 83 in a 4 door manual.
Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

Isn't that feature built in so you can't lock your keys in your car? The door has to be closed and you either have to have your keys in your hand or be in the car to lock it.
Old 06-30-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speed9117
Isn't that feature built in so you can't lock your keys in your car?
Can't? No.
Maybe make you think twice before locking them in the car? Sure.

I have done it.

The door has to be closed and you either have to have your keys in your hand or be in the car to lock it.
BZZZZT. Wrong.
Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

Can't/Don't whatever same thing. There's always a way around it. I was just saying it was the intended purpose of that feature.

Originally Posted by ezone
BZZZZT. Wrong.
Ok, those are the only ways you don't have to go out of your way to lock the door. No need to be a dick.
Old 06-30-2012

Originally Posted by Speed9117
Isn't that feature built in so you can't lock your keys in your car? The door has to be closed and you either have to have your keys in your hand or be in the car to lock it.
Years ago, this was the ONLY way to lock many European cars. Either be inside with the doors closed, or be outside and lock it with the key.

At least Honda lets you lock it while the door is open, even if there is an extra step to make it happen.
Old 07-02-2012
NoH
Registered!!

NoH is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks a lot guys. I'm completely new to Hondas so my knowledge on them is quite limited. I thought it could be a feature, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't something wearing out or anything like that.
Old 04-02-2015
Registered!!

WJMnTexas is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2009 Civic and after having body work done on the door the drivers side door was acting strangely. Not opening from either inside or out. The body shop is telling me I need a new actuator and after their messing around with it it works again!! Do I really need to do it? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015

Originally Posted by WJMnTexas
I have a 2009 Civic and after having body work done on the door the drivers side door was acting strangely. Not opening from either inside or out. The body shop is telling me I need a new actuator and after their messing around with it it works again!! Do I really need to do it? Thanks.
Sounds like they may have misassembled it or left some linkage off? If it works correctly now, just see how long it lasts.
Old 04-02-2015
Registered!!

WJMnTexas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. They called and the part is in......I don't want to do it so I guess I won't. I really don't feel as though I am being told the truth here.
Old 04-02-2015

Oh, they already got you a part? I didn't know.
If it's already billed as part of the repair work, I'd let them do it.
Old 04-02-2015
Registered!!

Poorside80 is an unknown quantity at this point

TRUE! EZONE IS RIGHT! THEY ARE BUILT LIKE THAT! I got a '91 Accord LX, and when doors are closed, i press Lock and all doors Get Locked, when Driver Door is open, i press the Lock, and all doors get Locked except by the Driver Door! to Lock Dirver Door, i need to pull Either Inside or outside Handle to Lock It!i got an '85 Nissan Truck, with the door open, you lock it, then close it, Lock Pops Up! if i Lock It, And Pull Either inside or outside Handle and Close the door, Lock Button Stays Locked! (On Both Doors!) IT'S A SECURITY FEATURE, TO AVOID LOCK KEYS INSIDE THE VEHICLE!!!

Last edited by Poorside80; 04-03-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Mistiped