I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help with wire colors of 2001 Civic radio vs Sony Xplod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011
k46
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with wire colors of 2001 Civic radio vs Sony Xplod!

Hi,

I just removed my Honda Civic 2001 radio (piece o' cake!), only to find the connector isn't the same as on the Sony Xplod (model CDX-GT09) that I want to install. I know you can buy adapters, but I don't want to do that, I want to finish the job today, else my GF will kill me if I spend more than a day on her car... I intend to just splice all the wires together, with electrical tape. But naturally, the colors don't correspond. I've included a photo to show the connectors on the original Honda radio, and the Sony Xplod. Can anyone tell me a) if there ARE corresponding wires on the Sony, for ALL of the wires on the Civic radio and b) if so, which wires would I connect from the Sony to which ones on the wires coming from the vehicle, that used to go to the stock radio?

Thanks for any assistance.

(n.b. I counted that each unit has 13 wires. That's a good sign, isn't it?!)

Honda radio wiring:

Sony Xplod wiring:

Last edited by k46; 07-31-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help with wire colors of 2001 Civic radio vs Sony Xplod!

just go to ANY radio/stereo place and get the adapter. she would kill you worse if she knew you messed with the factory wiring and if she decides to go back to stock or a different deck it will suck.
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

UnderDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely go get the adapter. $10 at walmart, man. It will really suck when you lose the stock harness and try going back later.
Old 07-31-2011
k46
Registered!!

Seriously, I'm not getting the adapter.

I just want to know how the color coding on the stock Honda 2001 radio wires correspond to the Sony Xplod wiring.

I already have the speaker wires worked out, from looking at wiring charts. There are 5 more wires that I need to work out, but the charts I've been able to download are either incomplete or wrong. (e.g. The Sony manual talks of a blue-white amp remote wire. Whereas there's no mention of an equivalent on the Honda).

I think the yellow wire on the Sony corresponds to the white|red 12v power wire on the Honda, and the red wire on the Sony should correspond with the yellow|red one on the Honda called "radio switch".

Assuming that's right, then I basically just need to know what the 2 blue wires on the Sony (remote amp and remote antenna) correspond with on the Honda dash wiring. (Or, what wires on the Sony, does the red and red|black wire on the Honda dash correspond to? They are apparently the Radio Illumination positive and ground wires. The Sony manual says nothing about "radio illumination".).

Last edited by k46; 07-31-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

only the sony manual can tell you what the sony wires are. do not connect the "illumination" or "dimmer" wires at all. for the honda wiring, i know wht/red is battery input, yel/red is ignition switched input, blk is ground.
Old 08-01-2011
k46
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
only the sony manual can tell you what the sony wires are. do not connect the "illumination" or "dimmer" wires at all. for the honda wiring, i know wht/red is battery input, yel/red is ignition switched input, blk is ground.
Yup, that's exactly what I'd already figured out to do: not connect the wires that I couldn't find an equivalent for. This meant not connecting the red wires on the Honda dash (illumination positive & negative), or the blue wires on the Sony Xplod (amp remote and antenna remote).

Got everything installed and working fine in less than a day, which was my goal. Now, to all those who insisted that I had to go the geek route and buy a harness adapter:
Old 08-01-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Mature.
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

chuyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey K46 if you figure it out can you please post on here how you did it. Im installing the oem harness that the previous owners chopped of mine and is causing hell in the back. Plus did you have 2 red wires? thanks
Old 08-24-2015
Registered!!

sulman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have exactly this problem. I have pioneer bluetooth radio that I'm putting in and I can't identify the matching wires on the harness pictured above. Someone in this discussion suggested looking at the after market radio manual. That will tell what the color of the wires stand for on the after market radio, the problem here is what do the wires stand for on that male harness you need to connect the radio to which is in the car.
Old 08-24-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ If you have an adaptor (as you should ) just follow it's directions. Then look straight across pin for pin and make sure they match to aftermarkets wiring colors being used

the12volt.com has a lot of info.

01-05..... leave illumination loose, and isolated. Or know what you are doing when connecting to them
Old 01-25-2016
Registered!!

John Vaj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey k46 I have the same issue plz help me through it.
I have 05 Honda civic with the same wiring color