I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

birthday money spending

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T_COLE is an unknown quantity at this point
birthday money spending

alright. i just had my birthday a couple days ago and ened uo walking away with about $650. i was looking to spend almost all of this on a system for my 03 civic ex coupe. i still have stock stereo setup in my car. i wanted to get 4 speakers, a sub and a couple of amps. i was wondering what the best way to come at this is. my question is:

what would you do with this money?

should i get the speakers and all or is there more to it. for example i saw something about alternators and stuff like that. i have absolutely no clue where to begin with a cars audio. i was hoping you guys could give me an idea of where to start spending this birthday money. thanks alot fot the help guys
Old 12-07-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: birthday money spending

Happy birthday, nice thing you made out like a bandit!

I love car audio, it's one of my favorite things when it comes to upgrading cars. If you have 650, I would spend MOST of it on the head unit. and some front speakers. You want to start out with a high quality source, then build on it. If you spread 600 bucks for cheap products the whole way through you'll tell the difference by ear. My recommendation would be to get a good head unit for around 400 bucks, then spend the rest on a set of boston acoustics speakers. In my personal opinion, they're the best i've ever heard on my own ears. I've heard a lot of speakers in my time. That's if you decided to go with the sound system. If you go other wise, you might be able to buy a nice set of 16" rims, if you don't have rims yet. Or you can get an exhaust system cat back for like 500. My suggestion from what I would do first to what I would do last:
1) Lowered suspension
2) Wheels
3) Exhaust
4) Sound system

Have fun!
Old 12-07-2007
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

Well. Get a Pioneer or Alpine HU with 2 sets of pre-outs, then get 2 sets of components, around 100RMS should be good, off eBay. The components id go with would be Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer, and should run about $200 shipped for sets combined. combine that with a $150 HU and your at $350. Now you need an amp. You could go ahead a get a cheap one, but i just picekd up a Alpine MRP-F450 off eBay brand new for $180 shipeed. 70RMS, perfect for a set of Alpine SPR-17C, my stereo set up. So now your at about $530 and youll prolly wanna spend about $70 on a 4 gauge wiring kit and dynamat. So $600. Next, depending on your audio set up, get subs. Circuit City frequently runs sales that are buy one get one free this time of year, and i picked up a 10" pioneer for $70, and got a second free. They also had 12" MTX Jackhammers for $90, buy one get one free, and 12" Pioneers for $8, buy one get one free, all consecutive sales. So watch the ad. This puts you at $690, a bit over your limit. But itll be worth it. Then goto partsexpress.com and buy your box. They have boxes for $50. Now all yo need is an amp. I found my Infinity Reference 611a amp, a mono class-D ampd with 657RMS watts for $90 shipped. A steal. Sothat puts you at maxx $850. But step back, and admire your top notch audio system. O, and the best part, is you dont have to splice wires for your stero installation since it all runs off pre-outs! only power + ground + atenna. Good Luck and sorry for the long read. But its all good stuff pieced together for excellent rates. In store for Alpine 6x9's: $160 Alpine 6.5's: $130 MTX Jackhammers: $180 Box: $50 Alpine 4-Channel Amp: $300 Infinity Reference 611a: $250+. Wiring kit: $100 Dynamat: $50. Total: $1220
Old 12-07-2007
Registered!!

J Casanova will become famous soon enoughJ Casanova will become famous soon enough

i wish i got 650 for my birthday. what i would do with it: H&R lowering springs, and a good catback *non fart can*
Old 12-07-2007
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

be sure to check your local craigslist for cheaper prices as well! oo and with $650 other options would be tintied windows, Ground Control Coilovers (for adjustability at $280) since a cat-back would bring minimal gains, you might as well save $200 and get an axleback or just a muffler + resonator. You could also start AND finish a retro fit. You could also get rims. You could also get a remote start installed. You could also get some 04 Tails. And a personal favorite: RSX leathers.
Old 12-07-2007
Registered!!

popee will become famous soon enough

650 -
lower the car
get o4-05 back bumper coupe
diy- black headlights
front lip
Old 12-07-2007
Diamond Member

hey popee does the 04-05 back bumper fit on? cuz if it does i have an extra $550 laying around to buy it!
Old 12-07-2007
Registered!!

TIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond repute

Go to VEGAS! Have "Fun" for a couple of days.
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

yeah it fits...it won't cost $550 either... if you have ssm be careful, almost nobody can match the paint right.
Old 12-08-2007
Diamond Member

dannngg. i have SSM too.
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

popee will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Envy
dannngg. i have SSM too.

HEy envy its a direct fit!!!
Old 12-08-2007
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

DIY: gearbox's guide to car stereo

Check it out
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

lol, never buy audio from ebay.... I got screwed on a pair of component speakers...well, half a pair...
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

RedHonda00 is an unknown quantity at this point

go for an exhaust and tint with that money, coupes have good back speakers for a stock setup. my subs were free J L Audio
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about

know what.. this is coming from a guy who's spent over 25K on his civic, not including the 15K spent on the actual car.

Don't modify it... everyone and everyone's mom owns a civic.

Just save that money! Towards a better car!

Keep saving... even if you save 7-10k, sell your civic and pick up a better car, like an m3 or an s2k.
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

thanks for the ideas guys. this helps very much. i would like to tint my car but the only problem is is that i live in rhode island, and i thin the legal tint here is 70% or something. i have the hfp package on my car now so i can deal with the outsides looks, i just wanted it to sound a little nicer.

and envy, would you mind explaining the audio stuff to me when i choose things. i have no idea what im doing and it seems like you do. i dont want to buy something that wont work well with what im buying. like if i have an idea of what i want i will pm you or something asking if it will work well

Last edited by T_COLE; 12-09-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2007
Diamond Member

yea if you have any questions....feel free to ask. Just remember: GENERALLY stay away from no-name brands. Also, your front speakers are 6.5" and your backs are 6x9's. If you like rock i would generally reccommend 10" subs, 12" for rap. they can be switched....its not a must-follow rule. But if you get subs, you dont necessarily need back speakers. So get fronts + subs first, then decide where to go. Also, BBY, and CCY generally install headunits for free , but if you wanna get speakers as well, they charge extra.
Old 12-09-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Naw man, two words.

Booze.

Women.

That's what you should spend that money on.

In light of that, if have some money after the booze and the women, don't pay the premium of buying stuff at best buy or another brick and mortar store. Car stereo install is easy as pie with the ISO wiring harnesses out there now. Find the model that you want, go have a look at it and play with the buttons at a store and then buy it and an $8 wiring harness online and install it yourself. Very easy. I've been shopping with Sonic Electronix on Ebay for about 4 years now and have never had an issue with them. That's with about six head units for myself and other folks. Good prices, good stuff.
Old 12-09-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

everyone i know who has an M3 has a problem by 100k.. i have had none... reliability is always better than the broke down car behind you...
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

i just turned 21 so i already blew about $100 on booze and women. haha

the problem with me is that i am very picky with what i buy. i like the stock look in my car and was looking to get a good HU that would glow amber or something. the only ones i found that i really liked was the pioneer avic-d3 and some alpine one. the only problem is is that they both cost a good deal. i dont want to blow my money on that and not be able to get speakers or anything. if you know of a HU that is nice for cheap, let me know.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction envy
Old 12-09-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't pass up on getting quality used stuff from Ebay or folks who get in over their heads on stereo builds and then have to part out when the bills catch up. You see it happen all the time on here with turbo and other builds. I'd recommend rolling with a good HU now and then keep an eye out for a good set of components later on.

I was really happy with a some mid-range Rockford and MB Quart components. I think I paid about $150 for each set - Ebay again. They were amped instead of running off the HU's amp which makes a lot of difference. Bottom line is that you're going to have to get creative to make $650 stretch to cover a decent upgrade from a stock system.
Old 12-09-2007
Diamond Member

yepp. i believe that kenwoods have a stock-ish look. and ive also seen a panasonic HU with amber lighting. i believe Someone on here posted about it. and yes, ive bought lots of quality stuff from ebay for excellent prices, and they all work.
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

chkolny will become famous soon enoughchkolny will become famous soon enough

well i think it depends if your going for sound quality, or sheer bass pounding action. if its the first, just look out for sales, and get yourslef like a pioneer, or a clairion, im not a fan of the alpine, IMO its far over priced, and the quality is the same as with cheaper decks, just my 2 cents. and i would simply get a single 10", and screw new speakers, you WILL NOT NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE. i have alpine type R 6X9's, and i asssure you, i notice minimal sound quality difference. unless you turn the vol waiiiii up, the type R's do distort alot less than OEM, but no one drives around listening the radio at near max volume. and at a normal volume level the sound quality is very similar to oem. i did however get them on a killer sale, so thats the reason i have them.

i however have gone the route of bass pounding action. i picked up dual 12' polks and am running them off a sony amp, at about 700rms, my total came to about 800- 900$ for my whole system

Last edited by chkolny; 12-09-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

thanks for the help and input. when it comes to a head unit i think i may have narrowed it down to two. i like HU's that glow amber so i like the pioneer avic-d3 and the alpine Alpine CDA 7876. they really arent the same as each other but i cant decide if i want touchscreen or not. does anybody know of any flaws for either or if one of them is definitely the one i should choose
Old 12-09-2007
Diamond Member

are your aplpine 6x9's amped?