I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

The beginning of my false floor remodel.. NEW PICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
The beginning of my false floor remodel.. NEW PICS

Here is the current look

I'm tired of a few things here. 1) I'm tired of the subs being exposed like this. 2) I'm sick of the curved look that divides the 3 pieces. 3) I'm sick of the red..already.

I want to try out a new vinyl. The last time I used vinyl instead of seude, I hate it. The reason was that the vinyl was too shiny and it looked cheap. So I'm going to raise the floor a little to go over the subs and put a mesh over them. What I'd really like to do is drop them down an inch do that the floor could remain the same height. Only problem is that they have vented poles and I think that they're already right at the minimum distance from the bottom of the box (4" I think).

This is what my buddy has in his IS300. I want to figure out what that material is and go for this look instead.

So here is what I finished today:

Subs are now recessed. Not sure how I want to do the lid though. I don't want do have a 1990 oval around the subs.... The box had 4 cubit feet of air. Hope it doesn't sound like **** now that I dropped half of it 2" down. My tolerences were uneven as I never intended to build it like this so I had to Duraglass a few spots as well...

Old 09-09-2006
Civicforums Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
wurd...is that Justins IS300?
Old 09-10-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
your buddy has a nice setup, and you can actually use the trunk. You don't have to worry about groceries touching or rolling over your subs.

Your current setup is nice too, but you obiviously can't use the trunk.
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

flipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enoughflipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enough
looks good
Old 09-10-2006
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FALKEN
wurd...is that Justins IS300?

WAS.... it's been long sold now. I don't talk to him anymore over that Blazer issue...

Originally Posted by phuviano
your buddy has a nice setup, and you can actually use the trunk. You don't have to worry about groceries touching or rolling over your subs.

Your current setup is nice too, but you obiviously can't use the trunk.

My goal is to be able to use it if need be without damaging anything

Still need to do the lid but it's back to functional and still sounds good...

Last edited by Rufus; 09-10-2006 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
nice work
Old 09-10-2006
Premium Member

Thanks dood. The lid will be cool
Old 09-10-2006
that little dude

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
Your buddies IS is really nice, and it looks like yours is going to turn out really good.
One word of advice (unless you already did it), I noticed in your before pics that your trunk lid had dynamat on it, but nothing covering it. I would definately consider covering the lid with carpet or whatever you might use in the trunk. I definately think it will give the trunk a more finished look.

Nice work though, I always enjoy looking at your installs.
Old 09-10-2006
I need a drop

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough
man, that looks great. Come help me with my trunk now.
Old 09-15-2006
Premium Member

Almost done with the new false floor

Woot!

Newer pic

Last edited by Rufus; 09-15-2006 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-15-2006
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Its awsome!....its so clean, practical and unique, what are you using for material to cover it?.....I don't mean the carpet, I mean the material used to cover the holes and make it all usable floor space.
Old 09-15-2006
Premium Member

I had a few ideas. If I used mesh, I was going to use my router to remove half the height of the wood around the holes from the bottom and glue the mesh in (using different mesh for the subs than the amps). Now, I'm thinking the subs grill could be a frame that slides in the opening (flush with the edges) has mesh on it, but is covered with grill cloth. I can build an "edge" under it to the grill doesn't fall into the subs. It will be clear where the opening is but it will be black like the suede or vinyl that covers the rest of the lid.
Old 09-15-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
thats looking a lot nicer
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

liquidride59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you fiberglass the bottem to fit or is it all just mdf? looks really good im doing mine now....
Old 09-25-2006
Premium Member

The bottom is figerglass on mine. Finished the carpeting minus the grills..

Old 09-25-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's really slick, man. Good work.
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light
great job on the trunk!!! thats somewhat what i'm planning on doing to mine when i'm ready to do my system.
Old 09-26-2006
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Thats practical, clean, the list goes on....

I think it will be copied at least once...
Old 12-08-2006
Premium Member

I never posted updated pics...

Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks damn good. Very nice work.
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

James77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good, I think its a big improvement over your last setup, but that's just me
Old 12-08-2006
Premium Member

Originally Posted by James77
Looks good, I think its a big improvement over your last setup, but that's just me
Thanks man, that was the goal.
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

James77 is an unknown quantity at this point
No probelm. Once it gets warmer out... probably spring.. I will actually start doing mine.
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

drivlikustoleit is an unknown quantity at this point
This is an awesome idea... props to the person who thought of doing it.

It looks sick... nice work
Old 12-08-2006
Racism sucks, just like your Mom...

Scott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of light
That looks sweet! I especially love the fact that you can now use your entire trunk. I've always liked seeing people use the trunk area for the subs and stuff, but could never stand the fact that they had to give it up at the same time. Seems like you found the perfect solution.

Couple of quick questions:

1. I think it's obvious, but I just want to be sure---you had to get rid of the spare, right?

2. What kind of mesh is that and where'd you get it? Cost?

3. Did you ever consider doing some sort of mod where you installed heavy-duty trunk struts and made an attached enclosure for the inside of the trunk lid? Would that even be possible? I only ask because I'm wracking my brain, trying to think of a way to put subs and stuff into the trunk area, leaving maximum trunk space for traditional use, all the while keeping the spare...

Again, very sweet setup!
Old 12-08-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Nice, job Rufus, looks good.

as far as ^^^, I don't see the trunk like idea working. Have you considered fiberglassing them into the back corners of trunk?? That would keep them out of the way, and allow you to keep your spare.
Old 12-08-2006
Racism sucks, just like your Mom...

Scott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
Nice, job Rufus, looks good.

as far as ^^^, I don't see the trunk like idea working. Have you considered fiberglassing them into the back corners of trunk?? That would keep them out of the way, and allow you to keep your spare.
Yeah, but I wanted to go with something different, you know? Make people say, "Why didn't I think of that?"
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

dabflyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
frickin' sweet dude. great job. just one question....is the entire surface usable? what i mean is, can you place stuff on top of the mesh area without it getting messed up?
Old 12-09-2006
Registered!!

EM2 Nig is an unknown quantity at this point
looks tight
Old 12-09-2006
Registered!!

Pushin_A_Civic has a spectacular aura aboutPushin_A_Civic has a spectacular aura about
Thats sick

Quick Reply: The beginning of my false floor remodel.. NEW PICS