I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Maybe Starting A Carputer Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Maybe Starting A Carputer Build

Where can I get the hardware to build it in Canada? I need a Canadian supplier for the intelligent DC-DC power supply and all the Mini-ITX goodies. Preferably in Alberta.
Old 05-11-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Why not try mp3car.com
Old 05-11-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Why not try mp3car.com
They're in Washington.
Old 05-11-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
They'll ship there I'm sure. Or find a member here to buy them for you and ship them to you, if they try to rape you on shipping. Shipping isn't that much to Canada. I sent a T2001 Roof wing to someone on here and it was like 13 bucks. It was an odd shape and fairly heavy. I'm sure those goodies wouldn't weigh near that, and they would fit in a small sized box.
Old 05-11-2006
PWIT
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
i wanna build one too, but im not sure exactly what i need, im going to use a lappy though cause well i have an extra one...
Old 05-12-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I'd advise against a laptop for many reasons.
The reason I want something in Canada is so I don't have to pay customs fees when getting it across the border. I paid $50 for my stereo on top of shipping, just for duties. And they're already charging me $25 US for shipping as it is. They are raping me.
Old 05-12-2006
PWIT
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
why you advise with no going with a laptop.
Old 05-12-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I think the most important part of a carputer build is the power supply. And for this reason, companies make auto specific power supplies for computers because of the voltage levels. Cranking your car with a computer hooked to it is going to pull a conventional 110 volt PSU to its limits and eventually will kill your laptop. Same as using desktop parts. The auto PSU provide a constant 12 volt current so there are no high or low spikes during cranking and it won't harm your machine. They also have startup/shutdown controllers so they turn on and off with your ignition which saves you a headache!

You can get them at www.mp3car.com, unfortunately they're about $100 + shipping. And that's USD. And since they don't come any higher than about 160 watts, you can only use them to power laptop parts so a desktop build won't work with them. I've found out this much in 3 days of research and I'm still learning.
Old 05-12-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Hi DeX, when it comes to DC-DC power supplies pretty much the only place to get the kind you need (ignition power off etc) is mp3car.com, as I explained during our brief pm exchange. Everyone I know personally with a carputer in Canada has had to get something shipped across the border at some point. Everything else such as mobo/cpu/etc you can buy at local computer shops. ITX is hard to find around here so if you're going that route you're either special-ordering from a local shop or going to mp3car...either way major moola. I didn't want to get a case from mp3car so I just bought a microATX mobo and case and then chopped pretty much 3/4 of the case off. My biggest problem now is that the Opus 150 is starving the mobo due to the P4 I've got in there, I got a little greedy. Still works though, and I'm thinking of adding another Opus or maybe just a regulator to help with the load. Trust me the shipping costs are murder and UPS is a ripoff with their freaking brokerage fees, but if you've done your research you can maximize your order by getting everything you need from the states all in one shot. When it comes to modding you've got to pay to play and it's even worse in Canada. But once you get it all working trust me you won't care how much it cost. In fact I've already started planning my second carputer setup, and a good number of the parts will be coming from mp3car.com.
Old 05-12-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by CenZ
why you advise with no going with a laptop.
You can run a lappy off an inverter but it has to energise on a run only line!
A relay off the run terminal of the ignition will work.
(neighbor is running a mini-mac in his RSX)
Old 05-13-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

Originally Posted by DeX
I'd advise against a laptop for many reasons.
The reason I want something in Canada is so I don't have to pay customs fees when getting it across the border. I paid $50 for my stereo on top of shipping, just for duties. And they're already charging me $25 US for shipping as it is. They are raping me.
Get someone here to buy for you and ship them as a gift.