I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Stupid sub box ruined the trunk carpet... and is still sliding ALL OVER the place

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Stupid sub box ruined the trunk carpet... and is still sliding ALL OVER the place

How can I fix this? Where can I get a new carpet from and how hard would it be to fix this problem?

Its really annoying cause sometimes when I turn i can hear the box sliding around... Its a 12" sub (1 box)

when I open my trunk, the whole thing is just wrecked... Its horrible, anyone have suggestions?
Old 01-03-2006
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
I have the same problem, the only thing that you can really do to prevent that is to bolt the box to the trunk floor. I just gave up trying and am working on my custom floor set up. As far as your carpet goes, you can try from a honda dealership, or if you do a little searching on here you can find a link to crutchfield.com where someone else got thier carpet from. I think it's in the DIY for custom trunk floor II but I may be wrong.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

whats involved with a custom floor set up?

I have a week left of nothing to do... haha

Im thinking of getting L? brackets and scewing my box to that cardboard thing in the trunk.

idk... I dont want to lose the option of the spare tire cause that would suck
Old 01-03-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I took a strap and hooked it in the holes on the support bar from behing the seats, afterwards wrapped that strap around the box and tighten it up never had any issues at all after that.
Old 01-03-2006

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by J Smith
whats involved with a custom floor set up?

I have a week left of nothing to do... haha

Im thinking of getting L? brackets and scewing my box to that cardboard thing in the trunk.

idk... I dont want to lose the option of the spare tire cause that would suck
It depends on how detailed you want to get. My setup involves plexiglass cutting and custom frosting which takes up some time. There are two DIY's on custom floors in a sticky at the top of the I.C.E. sub section. Check them out. They may help you out. As far as spare tire, I know my setup is going to use all that space up, but custom floor trunk II DIY does give you the option to use it.
Old 01-03-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
My cousin has on his tiburon 03' a strap that comes with the car in the trunk, and prevents the sub to do that.
Old 01-03-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
when i had subs the box was attached to the metal part near the back that looks like a hump. just get some L brackets
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

haha, isnt that like the gas tank? haha "B00m" - oops

anyone know where I can get some carpet?
Old 01-03-2006

I told you in my first response. Try Honda or here. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ADqOXFt...sp?g=746&avf=N

Last edited by stpyro8; 01-03-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

synod is an unknown quantity at this point
I used indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe's and built a new trunk floor out of 3/4" MDF. Doesn't match stock color at all, but its a nice looking grey - and indoor/outdoor carpet is much thicker than the stock carpet, so it holds on to my sub boxes a lot better and they don't slide around hardly at all due to the increased friction. So thats an option, however I'm still putting in some L brackets in just so it's harder to steal and so that it stays absolutely, completely still.
Old 01-03-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i got carpet from a small car stereo shop that does custom installs.
Old 01-03-2006
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
the gas tank is under the rear seat cushions, you can screw safely into the hump behind the seat backs.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

e|r|i|c is an unknown quantity at this point
my sub tends to rock and roll a little bit but it never moves anywhere. i just had it put in so i check every now and then after i park and it never moves to where u can notice it. it's far in the back and is heavy as hell...about 30 pounds...so it doesn't move too easily. i would like to strap it down somehow just for peace of mind. i don't know how i would do it tho. i'll probably just leave it the way it is. its fine the way it is now. i would try your honda dealership for more carpet. and mabe you can just put your sub in a bigger sealed box that way it won't move at all.
Old 01-05-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Why would you not secure a sub box, better yet, what kind of shop installed it that didn't secure it in some way? You do realize that in an accident it becomes a projectile in the vehicle right? It's just bad practice.

You can get L brackets as mentioned above. They can be screwed into several places. The hump, as it's referred to, is a brace that stiffens the vehicle roll. It won't hurt to screw into it. It's about an inch and a half above the actual sub floor.

You could screw into the cardboard as well.

I, however, recommend replacing the cardboard with MDF. To get a stencil, remove the stock carpet and trace it as your pattern. It'll be a perfect fit. It'll take some maneuvering, but you can get it in in one piece. 1/2 inch will be fine, 3/4 inch will be better. Once it's in there, you have several options. The L Brackets being one. Another one, that is also a security feature, and my favorite option is to unload the sub, meaning remove it from the enclosure. Run 4 or so screws through the bottom of the box from the inside into the MDF. Putting silicone in the predrilled holes would be a good idea to seal the box back. It won't damage the integrity of the box. Once it's screwed down, simply reload the sub and now would be theives have to take the sub out of the box to get the box out. Doubt many theives take a screw gun with them.

Another option is to use industrial strength velcro. True, it won't be as good as screws or brackets, but it works just fine. Put it along the edges of teh bottom of the box, and corresponding on thetrunk floor.

As for carpet, you can get it from crutchfield. Your local audio shop may carry it as well. Another place you can find it is at www.selectproducts.com . Grey 11 is the actual carpet code from Honda, but you can talk select into sending you samples so you can color match it as well.
Old 01-05-2006
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
when i had my 12's, i used my wheel chokes and placed them on each corner. hey, it works lol. also convient when i jack up the car when working on it
Old 01-05-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
build a custom floor out of MDF. It is not nearly as hard as it sounds and is completely worth it. I did mine and have loved it since. If you want pics lemme know
Old 01-05-2006
Registered!!

White0nGold has a spectacular aura aboutWhite0nGold has a spectacular aura about
wow thats crazy, i always wanted to make a thread like this, but i didnt think soo many ppl had this problem, so yea i have 2 12's in a banpass box, and once i lowered my car, i take my corners more quicker, so my box goes all over the place, i think i just my use a strap on it like some1 said
Old 01-07-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=217405
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

PiNoYxRaCeRxRH is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rloLpPy...743&I=125F1692
Old 03-09-2006
Racism sucks, just like your Mom...

Scott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PiNoYxRaCeRxRH
I'm not sure if that'll work. The problem is the carpet, not the box. He could put those rubber feet on the bottom of his box, but that would only create a new problem. Sure, the box may not move around that much, but it would still rub around in the small area of where the foot is resting and start to wear that part of the carpeting away, given enough time...

It's just a thought, by why not run some small, black, wooden trim at the bottom of the box? Maybe two, 90-degree pieces, one for each corner, and screw those into the flooring of the trunk (MDF or whatnot). That way it would keep the box from moving, but also make it readily removeable, if needed.
Old 03-09-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
how about getting a box with decent carpet? the stuff thats usually there has an almost velcro feel to it and it seems to grip the factory carpet well. or maybe a heavier sub / sub box
Old 03-09-2006
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=12

pretty similar to diskreets except the floor is carpeted with one piece of carpet and you can't see the hinges. its pretty much the same design, the only thing different is i connected the rear portion of the middle part to each side with a flat bracket. this way it doesn't bow in the middle. (see attachment)

whatever you decide to do...i found a good way to keep the box in place. put a L bracket on the top of the box then screw that into the part of the frame where the rear-seat releases are.

Last edited by manthatguysfast; 10-23-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2006
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
Subscribed… Will post later of my custom setup of carpet and subs when they are installed this Saturday. OOOh I can't wait. It will be my first system.

Post #600

texascivic2k1