I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)
View Poll Results: Navigation: Worth it or Waste of Money?
Worth it
69.10%
Waste of Money
30.90%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Navigation: Worth it or Waste of Money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
tom tom dosent have WAAS the day they decide to get WAAS it will be amazing i dont know why they didnt get it by now!!! damn them! i went garmin anyway
Old 11-18-2006
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Definitely a waste of money for me. 5 out of 7 days a week I drive to work and back and I already know how to get there. Today (Sat) we got lost, so I pulled over to liquor store and asked for directions. It took 5 min and costed nothing. I don't get it. It's just a gadget for introverts.

However, if you;re in the business of making deliveries or sales, that's another story.
Old 11-18-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
its not supposed to help you get to work and back. i guess youll understand when you drive to a big city with hundreds of freeways and exits all over and one wrong turn you will be completely lost on your own. it has saved me alot of wasted time and there isnt always someplace to pull over and ask directions. its more for going on road trips so you dont have to worry about looking at a map all the time or worrying how youre gonna find your way back to the map point so you can follow the directions to get home.
Old 11-19-2006
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
its not supposed to help you get to work and back. i guess youll understand when you drive to a big city with hundreds of freeways and exits all over and one wrong turn you will be completely lost on your own. it has saved me alot of wasted time and there isnt always someplace to pull over and ask directions. its more for going on road trips so you dont have to worry about looking at a map all the time or worrying how youre gonna find your way back to the map point so you can follow the directions to get home.
X2, it depends on the person, i know i need one too, cause i'm very bad with directions. i get lost near my town sometimes , so i would defenatly need it to go for road trips
Old 11-19-2006
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Eh, you guys crack me up. Really. "big city with hundreds of freeways" WTF?

Like I said in my post "waste of money for me". Maybe not for you guys. But geez, I've been driving in and out of NYC on occasion since I was 16. (And you don't wanna know how long ago that was.) I'll be putting that money in a head unit that gets used every time I drive.
Old 11-24-2006
Registered!!

shifoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Just bought one and it is worth it. I can't stand getting lost in Jersey :/

Check this Magellan out dirt cheap http://www.buy.com/prod/Magellan_Roa...203394196.html

157 shipped after rebates! Can't wait to get it!
Old 11-24-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by shifoe
Just bought one and it is worth it. I can't stand getting lost in Jersey :/

Check this Magellan out dirt cheap http://www.buy.com/prod/Magellan_Roa...203394196.html

157 shipped after rebates! Can't wait to get it!
o damn that is cheap
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
stuck, in traffic this morning, i made it reroute, and made it to class on time i love this thing
Old 10-14-2007
Registered!!

MarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura about
Re: Navigation: Worth it or Waste of Money?

for everyone lookin for cheaper nav systems try sonicelectronix.com, they have a lot of good stuff for cheap
Old 10-14-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

if i had to, id get a garmin.. my roommate has one and we hooked it up to my car and its awesome.. super thin, very smart and responsive, great directions and all and very specific...and the voice thing lady sounds hot lol.... since i just moved out to orlando its helped us alot... but personally i dont need one, id rather get lost.. it helps u get to know the area alot better.. but it might not be good to get lost if ur on ur way to somewhere important liek work or an interview or sumthin.
Old 10-14-2007

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
its not supposed to help you get to work and back. i guess youll understand when you drive to a big city with hundreds of freeways and exits all over and one wrong turn you will be completely lost on your own.
+1
hahaha.....welcome to CA...socal....

plus....the fact that you dont have to constantly looking for the next "merge" or "exit" is nice........cuz within 1mile of it, your navi will tell you "look dumb ***, start paying attention to the signs...exit 11 is coming up"

hahahha
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

Derwood is an unknown quantity at this point

A navigation system by itself... not worth it.

Navigation in a carPC... so worth it.

I have GPS in my carPC and I love it
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

skynet883 is an unknown quantity at this point

Worth it!!! enough said
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

kuNhoHan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
"look dumb ***, start paying attention to the signs...exit 11 is coming up"
LOL

yea ... Cali you'll need navi, i personally dont have one, but it is very useful to have
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

03TxCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

damn who brought this one back from the grave??? If you get lost a lot like women than get Navi. If you used to be an eagle scout, than just use your since of mandirection.
Old 10-16-2007

Originally Posted by Derwood
A navigation system by itself... not worth it.

Navigation in a carPC... so worth it.

I have GPS in my carPC and I love it
i had/have both. i think they are both worth it.

Originally Posted by 03TxCivic
damn who brought this one back from the grave??? If you get lost a lot like women than get Navi. If you used to be an eagle scout, than just use your since of mandirection.
yes, that is why when you get lost and waste ur time and get frustraited about the road, i will be simply enjoying my drive w/o any worries...even if i get lost...
Old 11-22-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

sent me and my friend on a 2.5 hour drive through jersey which should have only taken 1...we would have been better off ****in walking
Old 11-22-2007

lol ^ no offense but ur either an idiot or not using that navi correctly....

navi's bulit purpose is to find ur way from point A to point B with the shortest or fastest route...

they're not gonna choose a longer route just because they dont like u...
Old 11-22-2007
Registered!!

cgomes is on a distinguished road

I live in Toronto Canada and bought a Tom-Tom 910. I think its a great investment. Not sure if an in dash unit would be better or not but its too much of an eye candy for thieves. It came with all North American maps and I just finished adding euro maps for 80 bucks. It’s been a year now and never leads me wrong (except for the new roads and stuff like that).

In summary I’m satisfied.

FYI I also tried the Garmin and found it just as good in North America but Tom-Tom was a little better in Europe. But in the end its all perspective as to which would suit you.

My opinion buy it, try it, keep it if you like it, if you don't like it put it in distilled water f**k the crap out of it and return it . (Distilled water is pure and won't show a residue on the plastic).
Old 11-23-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

My opinion buy it, try it, keep it if you like it, if you don't like it put it in distilled water f**k the crap out of it and return it . (Distilled water is pure and won't show a residue on the plastic).
sounds like we either have another chem nut on here or someone who has been testing products for a while

with some of the tomtom deals ive seen for black friday, i have halfway thought of getting one. worst buy has one for like $120. i dont really like the stand alone ones tho. if i were to get one, it would be one i could play through my indash screen
Old 11-23-2007

Originally Posted by cgomes
... put it in distilled water f**k the crap out of it and return it . (Distilled water is pure and won't show a residue on the plastic).
actually distilled water doesnt conduct electricity...it does not contain salt (NaCl becomes Na+ and Cl- in water) and the Na+ and Cl- are the ions carry the charges... =]

Originally Posted by chawski
sounds like we either have another chem nut on here or someone who has been testing products for a while

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 11-23-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-23-2007
Registered!!

actually distilled water doesnt conduct electricity...it does not contain salt (NaCl becomes Na+ and Cl- in water) and the Na+ and Cl- are the ions carry the charges... =]
make that 2 more chem nuts
Old 11-23-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

actually, i think you are describing deionized water.
Old 11-23-2007
Premium Member

oh and did anyone pick up that garmin color gps from walmart for $128? i would have but i already got an older one that works fine
Old 11-23-2007
Registered!!

actually, i think you are describing deionized water.
6 in one hand, half dozen in the other

i saw that garmin and thought about getting it, but i really dont have anywhere for it. between my radar detector and indash monitor, i think it would start getting a bit crammed with screens and lights everywhere. I thought about doing a custom mold in the cig lighter area plastic, but i think thats gonna be too low to realistically be looking while driving. oh well...the wait for a reasonable gps with a/v out is still in full force
Old 11-25-2007
Registered!!

TIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond reputeTIPPMANN has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up the TomTom from Radio Shack. It is the TomTom 1 3rd gen, I like it for what it is, navi. It does not have any of the other cool features like mp3 or pics or Bluetooth, but my head unit does, so I dont need them. It was advertised for 129.00 then minus the 30% discount on that for managers. I got it for just under 100.00 out the door. I am happy with it. I also got the 30G ZUNE for 75.00. haha, Not that I need it but for that price why not.
Old 12-15-2007
Registered!!

Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point

im selling my Mio 4.3 Navigation for 210 shipped..

Hit me up!
Old 12-15-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold

oldddddddddd thread
Old 12-26-2007
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough

I get lost ANYWHERE i go NO MATTER WHAT. i don't know any street names, only monuments. Say, "left at the dead bum on the green bench", i'll know exactly where your talking about.
and yea, try not to EVER leave n e thing on your window or dash, HIDE IT!
Old 12-27-2007
Registered!!

rjngo will become famous soon enoughrjngo will become famous soon enough

my tomtom one has always been reliable to me...been using it here in canada and throughout the states - and thank god to whoever invented this machine, no more maps!!!

Quick Reply: Navigation: Worth it or Waste of Money?