I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

cutting out spacers/ cutting sheet metal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack123 is an unknown quantity at this point
cutting out spacers/ cutting sheet metal

I have a dremel and it came with the circle cutting guide. Has anyone here made mdf spacers using their dremel and a circle cutting guide? If so what bit did you use to cut? Or what tool works best to make an mdf spacer?

Also for cutting sheet metal, what dremel bit works best? I have a few bits that are for cutting metal (a grey circular bit that looks like it is for sanding).
Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
For spacers, I've always used the jigsaw and a router table... I only use the dremel for small spaces or sanding.. (the sanding wheel works great)
For sheet metal, you COULD use the cutting wheel but depending on what type of metal and how thick it is, you'll be going through the wheels like crazy.. and theyre definitely not cheap enough to be doing that. Use sheet metal cutters/tin snips.. they work great.
Old 04-30-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I used my rotozip and circle cutting guide one time (it's the same pretty much) and it always gave a lumpy circle, not a perfect circle because the bit could move just a small amount. If you're ont a perfectionist, then it'd be fine.
Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
im having a hard time making the circles.. like actually properly drawing a proper circle to cut out..
Old 04-30-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
I have a perfect circle cutter - like a dremel only considerably bigger and 10 x more powerfull. It has a router attachement and a hand guide attatchment as well. It makes perfect, smooth circles. I bet you'd get a slightly lumpy circle from a regular dremel like pop said. Use the bit that looks like a drill bit but says it's for cutting steel and go slow with it.

Paradox, if you are having a hard time drawing good circles, you need to get a compass. Then all you have to do is measure the diameter of the speaker, subtract 2 x the distance from the basket to the outer lip, and then you'll have your inside diameter. Divide it by 2, set your compass and mark off the dead center of intended cirlcle. Push the sharp end of the compass into the center pretty good and trace around the circle and your done. Alternatively, some speakers when you buy them new will come cardboard templates either in or on the box. Also, some speakers have mounting rings that serve as guides as well.
Old 04-30-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Lay your speaker upside down on the board. Trace around it, there's the outside. Find the center and put a nail in it find anything that you can nail in the center and attace a pencil to (a piece of scrap wood with 2 holes drilled in it works fine)
Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
yeah need to find my compass lol. wasnt sure if i could get 12 inch's out of it. time to find out me guess