Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here.

Engine Swap 2007 Civic Ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beedrillndatass is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Swap 2007 Civic Ex

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and all that, I'm attempting to replace my engine because I blew a hole in the side of the block... Anyway I wanted to know if anyone has any tips on the best way to go about doing this. I don't have a shop or access to a lift for the amount of time I need to do this so, I'm in my drive way and on jack stands. I do have an engine hoist. From what I can assess, I have to drop the engine and transmission from the bottom and put the new engine from bottom up. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Or any tricks or easier ways to do this? Thanks!

The car is a 2007 Civic Ex Coupe with a 5 speed manual Transmission. I'm just doing a stock engine swap. So its an R18A. I have thought about K Series but I understand I'd need a different subframe?.

Any feedback would be very helpful thanks!
Old 07-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine Swap 2007 Civic Ex

I have to drop the engine and transmission from the bottom and put the new engine from bottom up. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
Steering rack stays attached to the subframe. Disconnect the steering shaft coupler from inside the cabin before you begin LOL. Anchor the steering wheel with a bungee cord so it can't spin or you might get to buy a clockspring.

I find it easiest to drop the whole drivetrain out the bottom....biggest issue I'd think you would have is getting the car body high enough to clear the drivetrain. I set the drivetrain on a movers dolly, some blocks of wood help stabilize it.

I can have the whole mess on the floor in about an hour and a half if I hustle.

Check this thread, I posted several pics of an engine block replacement job in an 8th gen.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...alignment.html
Old 07-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beedrillndatass is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engine Swap 2007 Civic Ex

Thanks! I haven't really started yet, just have the front end lifted pretty high i think it has enough clearance. Just started disconnecting the harness and pulling out the cv axles. I'll definitely check out those pictures though.