Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here.

2006 Honda Civic LX Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
2006 Honda Civic LX Turbo?

I was watching a show about turbos the other day and I noticed one of the main points they kept making was that it increases power by a lot,but doesn't decrease fuel mileage that much,I was curious if adding a turbo to my 2006 Honda Civic LX would be
1.Possible
2.Affordable(how much is this gonna cost me?)
3.Fuel efficient(I know I'm gonna lose a lot of mileage,but how much should I expect?)

Anyone have experience or know-how?
Old 08-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jasen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006 Honda Civic LX Turbo?

This is a good article as to why.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/198...engine-exhaust
Old 08-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

1. Yes.
2. $5000-7000.
3. Depends on how you drive.
Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm turbo'd in the R-18 and have been since June. its your basic civic lx with hub caps, but making 237whp, 209 wtq. I just drove from Seattle to Maryland two weeks ago and averaged 36-41 mpg. the gas light would com on around 420 miles normally. but in the city local driving I am getting 32-35 getting into it randomly but not going full boost at 8.3 lbs. the setup has cost me 5200 so far with exhaust, dyno tune, and an etunez by BV1.
Old 08-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^Important to point out that you DIY'd the install, that saves a ton of cash.

237whp is pretty sick, that's comparable to what a 350z puts down at the wheels and you don't need to worry about the weak k20 tranny with a turbo r18.
Old 08-06-2011
Registered!!

krikey is an unknown quantity at this point

Adding one will probably increase your fuel mileage. But it depends on how you drive, as well. If you like racing mustangs stop light to stop light, its probably not going to help you much. If you commute on the interstate for 2 hours a day, i would think you should see a significant improvement in fuel mileage.
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

420Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jordan1794
I was watching a show about turbos the other day and I noticed one of the main points they kept making was that it increases power by a lot,but doesn't decrease fuel mileage that much,I was curious if adding a turbo to my 2006 Honda Civic LX would be
1.Possible
2.Affordable(how much is this gonna cost me?)
3.Fuel efficient(I know I'm gonna lose a lot of mileage,but how much should I expect?)

Anyone have experience or know-how?

1. Yes it is possible.
2. depending there are several ways but you are looking at around 2500-6000 varying on if you do your own work etc.
3. I got better gas mileage when I drove attempting to save gas I averaged around 38-45 mpg pushing 275 whp / 249 wtq @ 9 psi mostly highway driving though. But that RARELY occurs after you go boost as you feel the need to just boost everywhere it grows on you and you find you self stepping on it in random places.
Old 12-26-2011
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 420Coupe
1. Yes it is possible.
2. depending there are several ways but you are looking at around 2500-6000 varying on if you do your own work etc.
3. I got better gas mileage when I drove attempting to save gas I averaged around 38-45 mpg pushing 275 whp / 249 wtq @ 9 psi mostly highway driving though. But that RARELY occurs after you go boost as you feel the need to just boost everywhere it grows on you and you find you self stepping on it in random places.
I already step on it in random places xD
So I guess my mileage would stay the same then.

About DIY'ing it,how hard is this?I have virtually no experience,my dad has TONS of experience...but that's with RWD muscle cars...
Between the two of us,would this be feasibly possible,or should we leave it to the experts?
Old 12-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

It's possible, installing a turbo isn't an extremely specialized endeavor, it's running pipes and bolting parts up. You would however, need to have a shop do the tuning.
Old 12-26-2011
Registered!!

Another thing that may or may not be incredibly important,both to the possibility and the MPGs...it's an automatic.

1.will this make it any more difficult to put on?
2.Will it make it anymore expensive?
3.Will it make it harder to get MPG's out of it?

4.And how much should I expect to pay to get it tuned?
I don't want a racecar...but I want to be able to have some extra oomph...I know it will increase wear and tear on my engine,but how much boost can I put out without ripping my engine to shreds?(I want the car to last at least another 5-10 years without any major work)
Old 12-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

It being an automatic, you'll be more limited in terms of engine management.

You should expect to pay $500-600 for tuning.
Old 12-26-2011
Registered!!

So buying it myself,and putting it on myself...then getting it tuned,probably looking around 3,000?
Old 12-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

At the minimum, but do your research, there are lots of options that can either drive the price up or keep it down.
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

Trainingdragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys. Thinking about a Turbo and saw this old thread. Can I add questions to it??

DrunkinStuper and 420Coupe; what turbos did you buy and any specific options?? Were you able to drive to the car to get it tuned or did you have to trailer it?

I also have an 06 EX Coupe w/Auto trans. Not looking to race but definately could use more HP. The numbers are serious. DrunkinStuper - 237 HP and 420Coupe - 275 HP??

Oh, one more thing. These have been on for a while. What are the issues now that you have had them installed for some time? Oh do you need premium gas now?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012
Registered!!

DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure if 420 still post's on this site or not but he is in major overhaul right now with internals and transmission work, not because something broke but because he wants more.

I am now sitting at 291whp/263wtq with the GT25BB. We have completely different set up's going on. I'm running a TSI kit, and 420's running FullRace. The turbo's are specifically kit's in both vehicles, both modified from the original aka kit due to wanting more and customization preferred.

I was able to drive my car straight to the dyno, the day after installation with no real problems except running very rich off the base map provided on flashpro.

When picking out the turbo I must say go BB (Ball Bearing). Spend the extra money and you won't be disappointed. I see someone is saying 3K for the entire kit, maybe used with a tune but look forward to spending around 4200-6000 bucks depending on what kit. Then factor in if its an automatic your just not going to get the numbers a manual see's without tranny work due to the gearing and shift delay which is NOT cheap.

With questions, ask away. I'm just getting back into the site again.

Originally Posted by Trainingdragon
Hey guys. Thinking about a Turbo and saw this old thread. Can I add questions to it??

DrunkinStuper and 420Coupe; what turbos did you buy and any specific options?? Were you able to drive to the car to get it tuned or did you have to trailer it?

I also have an 06 EX Coupe w/Auto trans. Not looking to race but definately could use more HP. The numbers are serious. DrunkinStuper - 237 HP and 420Coupe - 275 HP??

Oh, one more thing. These have been on for a while. What are the issues now that you have had them installed for some time? Oh do you need premium gas now?

Thanks.