Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here.

Turbo vs. Super

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarkR is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbo vs. Super

If all things being equal (cost) does supercharging have more benefits than turbocharging or they about the same? I know that each will have it's pro's and con's and that's ok. Thank's
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all
Re: Turbo vs. Super

Welcome to the site, but a quick search would have showed you there are no supercharger options for the 7th gen!
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

MarkR is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, let me rephrase my Question, "IF" either one was avaliable and costs were equal would one benefit the best?
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

well supercharger is instant torque and low rpms .. but turbo has more top end power ... so its really up to ur preference, i'd say turbo > supercharger
Old 09-02-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryox82
Welcome to the site, but a quick search would have showed you there are no supercharger options for the 7th gen!
not entirely true....unless you don't consider the civic si hatch to be a 7thgen...

i don't know if a supercharger would fit with a swap...
Old 09-02-2008
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by manahoonie
not entirely true....unless you don't consider the civic si hatch to be a 7thgen...

i don't know if a supercharger would fit with a swap...
I should have been specific, I was speaking of the D17, which the majority of us are strapped with.

Regarding your other comment, I do beleive I did see someone here with a k swap with a jackson racing supercharger on it.
Old 09-02-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

yes, transformedbg has a supercharged k24 in an em2 i believe. honda engines breathe relly well, and hence turbo will makemore power, plus superchargers rob HP to make HP, so its a loss then gain relationship, or parasitic. turbo has lag, but can be tuned out by a good tuner, go turbo or go home
Old 09-05-2008
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

transformedbg has a supercharged K20A. Unless he recently changed it to a K24.
Old 09-09-2008
Registered!!

thewhipgame is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a type R engine...some people have mentioned that it would be better to Super charge it rather than Turbo due to compression...have you heard anythin about it or what's your stance on it?
Old 09-09-2008
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

i think that it is really up to what you want from the car. superchargers tend to fatten the stock powerband, while turbos will definitely increase the top end. but, as mentioned before, you can have a turbo tuned well, making it very effective throughout the entire powerband.

turbos are usually better for higher horsepower applications and superchargers are better suited for more modest increases.
Old 09-09-2008
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice

not all superchargers are "low end tq" adders. take a look at the f20c and f22c that are S/C'd. if they didnt know they were S/C'd, youd think they were running a small snail bc their graph is similar to those with smaller turbos.

really, this threads useless to compare something that exists to something that doesnt.
Old 01-12-2009
Registered!!

Devin Eaton is an unknown quantity at this point

Well considering that they do not make a supercharger for the civic. Superchargers are for top end turbo is alot more efficient it doesn rob as much to make more power. Supercharger takes power to make power
Old 02-09-2009
Registered!!

pacotaco is an unknown quantity at this point

it kinda depends on the aplication if your doing something with alot of start and stop like i guess autocross you need something that give instant power super if your just tryin to blow past that guy on the highway turbo
Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

jaysuper is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me answer your question with a question have you ever seen an old factory super charged car rolling around. Not me go with reliability turbo all the way.
Old 02-15-2009
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jaysuper
Let me answer your question with a question have you ever seen an old factory super charged car rolling around. Not me go with reliability turbo all the way.
if you want reliability then don't push the car and get it tuned right. no matter if it's supercharged or turbo'd.

You have never seen a factor supercharger car rolling around? r u serious? then you need to get out for often.

My GF has a supercharged mercedes SLK and it's about 10 years old without any problems...
Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

jaysuper is an unknown quantity at this point

I said old 10 years isn't old there have been turbo charged cars since the 60's
Old 06-26-2010
Registered!!

konnor596 is an unknown quantity at this point

i got a D16Z6 motor with, Jackson Racing Supercharger installed less than 10k ago.
AEM cold air intake, headers, fuel and ignition system, and a Borla dual tip exhaust, what mods can i add to the supercharger or motor to gain a little more hp??
Old 06-26-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

can't you swap the pulley on the supercharger to produce more boost? My step-dad was talking about doing something like that on his Saturn Ion Redline..

I understand how that works in theory, but I don't know the specifics of what would have to happen to accompany that.
Old 06-26-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
can't you swap the pulley on the supercharger to produce more boost? My step-dad was talking about doing something like that on his Saturn Ion Redline..

I understand how that works in theory, but I don't know the specifics of what would have to happen to accompany that.
Yes you can most superchargers depend on the size of the pulley on how much boost you have. The smaller the pulley the less boost you will produce and the bigger the pulley the more you can produce. Though is you want alot of boost in one then you have to go up on the stage. I think that a stage 1 supercharger tops out at like 12-15 psi or something like that.

The supercharger pulls power to make power out of it and is for low torque power but stays constant the rest off the way up through a powerband. If you have ever seen a dyno of a supercharger is not like a bunch of jumps all over the place its basically a complete straight line. I would say the supercharger is better for track use cause of getting that low end torque when coming around a curve which you need. If you dont take the curve right and keep that powerband up then you will fall back but with that supercharger it will give you a bit of an edge coming out.

But turbo is better than the supercharger. It has lag but pulls more psi in a smaller powerband which makes it a little better in some words.