Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here.

R18 transmission swap to manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R18mugen is an unknown quantity at this point
R18 transmission swap to manual

An associate of mine said it would not be worth it to swap the transmission on my r18 I have to ask why not the manual transmission is cheaper and more fun to drive so what would be a set back if i change my automatic transmission if it breaks
Old 02-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: R18 transmission swap to manual

Sell the car you don't want, use that money to buy the car you DO want?
Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sell the car you don't want, use that money to buy the car you DO want?
the question is if the transmission goes bad would it be better just to switch it to a manual
Old 02-21-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Do you have all the parts required. You would need an entire manual trans car to get all the brackets, clips, linkages NOT just a trans. You would also need a pcm for a manual car which would need programmed to be able to start the car. Starter may be different. The axle almost certainly are.

I have considered swapping a manual trans into my accord. It is a lot of work even for me and I am honda dealer tech and have a complete donor car to get all the parts from.
Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Do you have all the parts required. You would need an entire manual trans car to get all the brackets, clips, linkages NOT just a trans. You would also need a pcm for a manual car which would need programmed to be able to start the car. Starter may be different. The axle almost certainly are.

I have considered swapping a manual trans into my accord. It is a lot of work even for me and I am honda dealer tech and have a complete donor car to get all the parts from.

So I'm better off saving for an si thank you
Old 02-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking to build 200+ HP, then yes an SI would be a better base to start with and the SI only comes with manual trans.

Drive the R18 as an econobox, brag and boast about killer gas mileage LOL