Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

changed link kits on back

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
changed link kits on back

07 honda civic dx.

So i went to do a full inspection of my car and they said i had to change my rear sway bar links. And i asked them to balance my winter tires (I bought the car in july 2015 and it already had the same winter tires on them at the purchase) They said i did no need to balance them because my tires are not used equal.

So then i changed my sway bar links. both of them with the *** of my car completely jacked in the air. i jacked it from the hook behind and then put the axle stands on each sides where they are suppose to go and did the job. The recommended torque weight of the nuts was 45 foot pounds. I did not have a 3/8 torque wrench so i just tighten them as good as i could with my regular 3/8 socket.

Then jacked it back slowly down to the ground.

Since then, i feel that the car wobbles a little left to right. nothing huge, but its not the same as before. maybe its because of my winter tires that are not used equal. and it creates that effect.

Or its because i tighten my rear sway bar links too tight?

Is it safe to unscrew my rear sway bar links and then screw them back at the suggested foot pounds weight?

I did the job last friday the 18th.

any help would be greatfully appreciated.
Old 12-22-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: changed link kits on back

Originally Posted by Kristoliquid
They said i did no need to balance them because my tires are not used equal.
Huh?

Since then, i feel that the car wobbles a little left to right. nothing huge, but its not the same as before.
One side could be off a little. Look under the car with the wheels on the ground and make sure both sides are even. New end links should "tighten" up the feel of the rear.

Or its because i tighten my rear sway bar links too tight?
No. If they were to tight the bolt would have snapped.

Is it safe to unscrew my rear sway bar links and then screw them back at the suggested foot pounds weight?
Try removing them and see if the issue goes away. You can just leave them hanging on the sway bar or take them out completely. Car will handle differently without the end links but no harm.

The final tightening might have to be done with the wheels on the ground, I can't remember last time I did them.
Old 12-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

At what speed does this wobble happen?

Sway bar and links would have nothing to do with a side-to-side wobble, you could remove all of those parts and it would not change anything. Civic DX doesn't have any of it.

Tires would be more likely to cause a wobble feeling --- but only while rolling.
Got a lumpy tire/slipped belt? Inflated properly
Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

I jacked it up from behind on the tow hook to get both tires up and then putted my axles stands on each side where they suppose to go.

The wobble is more felt at very slow. But still can be felt on highway.

When in a straight line I let go of the steering wheel and the car goes straight with no problem for a long time.

My winter tires make a lot of noise because of the big threads they have. I'll do some tests tomorrow morning. I'll check to see if all wheels are tight. Then I'll check if my back links are not loose.

I'll unscrew the back links and drive around and feel if it changes. I'll check my tire threads to see if they are used unequal. And end up putting my summer tires to see if it does a difference.

Last edited by Kristoliquid; 12-23-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They said i did no need to balance them because my tires are not used equal.
This does not make sense to me as it is written...

....Is there a reason they did not want to balance the tires, such as there is a bad tire that needs replaced?

Or maybe they already know your complaint is not caused by tire balance?

The wobble is more felt at very slow. But still can be felt on highway.
Makes the REAR of the car wiggle?
At low speed, a wiggle at the rate of once per tire revolution (about every 2 meters or so) would make it tire related.

Is it actually a movement you feel, or is it just rumble noise you hear?

When in a straight line I let go of the steering wheel and the car goes straight with no problem for a long time.
I assume this means the steering wheel does not vibrate or shake at all, the tires on the front are well balanced and spins round and true, no runout no egg-shape or oval shape.

Have you tried spinning the rear tires to look for unevenness, lumps or out of round?

I wonder if you rotate the tires (front <--> rear) then test drive it your steering wheel would twitch at low speed and shake at high speed, with the suspect bad tire(s) now on the front.
Old 12-23-2015
Registered!!

No noise at all. Just wiggle left to right a little. Gonna check now and inspect now.

The tires not well used means one side of the tire is more burned than the other side. Or didn't burn equal.
Old 12-23-2015
Registered!!

Upon closer inspection, it could be the camber alignment of the rear left wheel. It seems the tire is more inwards.

Can it be adjusted manually on my civic?
Old 12-23-2015

Camber (negative, lean in at the top) is designed into the suspension and is supposed to be that way to a certain extent, although it may be a contributing factor if it's far out of spec as to why the tires are worn on the inside edges,

but that does not make the car wobble.

The factory did not give any way to change rear camber, but aftermarket does make adjustable upper arms to deal with it.

But changing the camber will not correct the wobble you have now.
Old 12-24-2015
Registered!!

I've got my rear wheels off and then inspected and putted back on and its stopped wobbling or at least it's very very minimal.

I dunno what happened there but I'm happy that it's getting better lol.

Thanks for all your help guys.