Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Suggestions on shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aztony is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Suggestions on shocks and struts

I have a couple questions regarding replacing the shocks and struts on my 08 Civic EX. I recently had the oil changed and tires rotated and they told me one of my shocks had a slight leak. Since the car has 114k miles on it and the shocks and struts have never been replaced, I figure it's time to get it done. I've seen in other Civic forums some people went with the Monroe OE Spectrum shocks, I was wondering if they're any good or is there another brand I should be looking at that is more reliable, better quality, gives a better ride, etc...? A relative of mine suggested Bilstein but I think they're over the top and I haven't found one that would fit anyway. Are KYB any good?

Forgive me but I'm not very auto mechanically inclined. What exactly does the 08 Civic have, 4 shocks and 2 struts? How much should I expect to pay to have this done? I was quoted $300 plus labor by an independent mechanic. TIA for any suggestions.
Old 04-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions on shocks and struts

I use OE (and I'm a dealer tech)..
I would only do the pair that are a problem, the rears in your case.
I probably wouldn't do the fronts unless there is an identifiable issue, like leaks or excessive bounce/poor control.

You have struts in the front, plain shocks in the rear.

Front struts pic

Rear shocks pic, springs are separate from the shocks

Old 04-09-2014
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

I would also take it to another person to get a second opinion....sometimes other fluids will get on the shock bodies and make it look like they are leaking.

If you plan on keeping the car stock (which it seems you will), then I'd get new OEM shocks. They will most likely be the best quality, and won't change the ride. I've heard of people get Monroes and hate how the car rode afterwards.
Old 04-09-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aztony
Are KYB any good?
KYB is who manufactures the OE struts/shocks for Honda (at least from 01-05). I would go with KYB over Monroe.
Old 04-09-2014
Registered!!

aztony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
I use OE (and I'm a dealer tech)..
I would only do the pair that are a problem, the rears in your case.
I probably wouldn't do the fronts unless there is an identifiable issue, like leaks or excessive bounce/poor control.

You have struts in the front, plain shocks in the rear.

Front struts pic

Rear shocks pic, springs are separate from the shocks

Thanks for all the info.

The only reason I was considering changing the struts along with the shocks was I thought they were past due the recommended mileage and thought it would be a good idea to change them all out. Besides the dealer, any suggestions on a good website/retailer to buy OEM shocks or which company manufactures the OEM shocks? Is it still KYB?

Originally Posted by rustycivic
I would also take it to another person to get a second opinion....sometimes other fluids will get on the shock bodies and make it look like they are leaking.

If you plan on keeping the car stock (which it seems you will), then I'd get new OEM shocks. They will most likely be the best quality, and won't change the ride. I've heard of people get Monroes and hate how the car rode afterwards.
Keeping the car stock doesn't matter to me. Mostly I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, as most everyone is nowadays. If another brand will give me the same ride for less then the cost of OEM, then I'll consider them. If another brand will give me a better ride for a bit more, I just might go with them, depending on how much more they cost.

As for something else leaking, there are no spot on my garage floor indicating anything at all is leaking.

Originally Posted by GolNat
KYB is who manufactures the OE struts/shocks for Honda (at least from 01-05). I would go with KYB over Monroe.
Thanks. Any idea who made them for the 08 models?
Old 04-09-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they were past due the recommended mileage
There isn't really any such. You won't find that in your owners manual.
Some can outlast the car. Others don't.
They get replaced as needed IMO.

Shock manufacturers - - such as Monroe - - suggest every 50k.......
Maybe their CEO's pockets need you to replace them that often.
Follow the money.
Maybe their products NEED replaced that often.
Not ours.
(There was a time when shocks/struts really did only last 15-30k for certain manufacturers. It wasn't Honda, and it was a long time ago.)

Today in the shop there was (and still is) an 07 CRV with 260k on it. Original struts. Bounce test was fine. Drove fine.
There was an 03 Odyssey with 40k. It needs rear shocks, they are bouncy...but not leaking. Fronts are good as far as we could tell.

and thought it would be a good idea to change them all out.
You should price the complete job for the front struts FIRST, including labor and a 4 wheel alignment.
Then
decide if they REALLY need replaced.
You may decide to just wait until they are really needed.

Besides the dealer, any suggestions on a good website/retailer to buy OEM shocks
There are many dealers that sell wholesale online.
I use Majestic (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) for the online catalog links, but there are others closer to you.

Google, type 'honda parts' in the bar and see how many the automatic suggestion lists. hondaparts cheap, direct, now, etc.

or which company manufactures the OEM shocks? Is it still KYB?

Any idea who made them for the 08 models?
No clue from me, I don't need to know that stuff. Why don't you look on yours, see if you can find any manufacturers' stamping.

As for something else leaking, there are no spot on my garage floor indicating anything at all is leaking.
Leaking struts and shocks rarely drip to the ground. They usually leak slowly and dirt accumulates in the wet areas.

Bounce test the rear end of the car.
Then jack it up so the rear wheels are hanging in the air. Look up at the rear shocks, look for wet spots around the top of the lower tube.

HTH