Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Skunk2 Pro S Coilover issues! please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bassboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Skunk2 Pro S Coilover issues! please Help

So, first of all im a newbie at this forum thing, i am also a newbie as far as knowing a lot about cars just so u guys know.

so my stock struts and shocks were chopping my tires according to the mechanic so i bought Skunk Pro S II Coil overs, i figured if i was going to spend money might as well spend it wisely i guess, but now i have an issue, every time i drive my car i feel the car is like jumping around; bubble heading if u will. I made the mechanic bring the car up a about an inch more to see if that would make it better but i still feel it.

Can you guys please help me or at least give me some guidance as to what i can do to before my back breaks in half.
Thanks guys
Old 03-18-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Skunk2 Pro S Coilover issues! please Help

The spring rate on those is 10kg/mm or 560 lbs. That's a high rate for a daily driver. Improperly matched spring rate to shock combos can cause bounciness and also high spring rates. If its killing your back sell them and get a softer rate.
Old 03-18-2013
Registered!!

thanks a lot for your help... just so i get more familiar with this stuff, what do you mean when u say improper spring rate to shock combination? and what spring rate do u recommend i should get? and if u can suggest a certain type of shocks or coil overs it would really help me too.

Thank for your help on this
Old 03-18-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Shocks are valved a particular way. Some shocks can handle higher spring rates (the stiffer the spring the higher the rate), other shocks can't. Since you bought a complete kit I would think that Skunk 2 matched there springs and shocks properly. Your bouncy ride is probably due to the high spring rate. I can't give you an exact spring rate because everyone has there own opinion of what is comfortable. I have heard people say that 600lbs isn't bad for daily driving. I have Eibach Sportlines and I think they have a great rate for daily driving and good handleing. Ground Controls would be good for you because they can make you a custom rate spring to match what you are looking for.
Old 03-18-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

first, what year car we talking about?
you posted on 8th/9th gen, but actually a lot of people post on the first place they can, so...
Old 03-18-2013
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
first, what year car we talking about?
you posted on 8th/9th gen, but actually a lot of people post on the first place they can, so...
Good question!! I didn't even notice that. I just assumed he had a 7th gen (bad habit)
Old 03-18-2013
Registered!!

my car is a 2009
Old 03-18-2013
Registered!!

i was looking into replacements springs and how you can customize the coil overs to make it more comfortable like you were saying.. but since i am a newbie at this the numbers confuse me and i don't know which is more suitable for me as far as rate and the actual number on the spring that translates to the amount of pounds i need to ride in comfort
Old 03-19-2013
Prelude Owner

It's odd that your 09 needed new struts from chopping the tires...call Ground Control and they will tell you what they think is best. Since you have an 09 its going to be different then my 01. Ground Control will most likely suggest you stick with the rate that the springs come with.
Old 03-19-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

09 is more likely to chop tires due to the rear control arms? there is a TB on that.
and it seems that the skunk2's were only good until 6th gen...
potentially just you need new shocks, since it is harsh, as you say.

and no, stiffer sprigns not always equate to harsh ride, but the shocks need to match the sprigns (able to control them). Of course, they still need to compress when it encounter bumps :P