Old Guys Corner - Honda Civic Forum

Off Topic "If you don't like your job, you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Registered!!

robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice
Old Guys Corner

Remember cutting holes in your door panels for speakers?
robfarr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
We got to move these color T.V.s

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old Guys Corner

6x9 Jensens propped up in the back window......loose!
I made a box for them and sat it in the back window....loose!
IDK how I survived being a kid LOL

Home stereo speaker cabinets in the back seat!
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Registered!!

Megalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to behold

My second car was a hand-brushed painted baby blue 1964 Chevy Nova 2
that I traded barely running VW bus for. I removed the back seats, installed 3/4" plywood and mounted 6X9"s into it. Used bean bags for seats..LOL. I guess safety for my passengers wasn't my highest concern..Oh well, didn't give a **** I wasn't sitting back there.

Last edited by Megalodong; 1 Week Ago at 09:12 AM.
Megalodong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Super Moderator

sdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to behold

I started driving with my father's 1983something (Brazilian version) VW Beetle, so dropping the engine off the car was 15 minutes job...
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Registered!!

robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji View Post
I started driving with my father's 1983something (Brazilian version) VW Beetle, so dropping the engine off the car was 15 minutes job...
Sometimes intentional, sometimes...not?
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My first car was a 63 Bug. Within a week of getting my drivers license I had to pull the engine out to fix a broken throwout fork. (thanks Dad!)

At my first real mechanic job we used to have races to see who could pull a bug engine out the quickest. 15 minutes seems slow LOL
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Super Moderator

sdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to behold

yep, 15 minutes at leisure pace

and if you throw in an electronic ignition, the only thing else to stop the car was a broken fan belt

a guy drove 100 miles on one cyclinder only, and still got there - of course, it will go at 30 MPH tops, but as long as you don't turn the engine off, it would keep going...
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Registered!!

Quote:
and if you throw in an electronic ignition, the only thing else to stop the car was a broken fan belt
Or a leaky fuel hose....
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Registered!!

Megalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to behold

Can this one be pulled out in 15 minutes or less?

Megalodong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #10
Registered!!

That is a cool car!

Why doesn't a shop with a dyno have hearing protection for everyone?
Old 6 Days Ago   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodong View Post
Can this one be pulled out in 15 minutes or less?
Depends on if the carbs will clear, plus that engine is A LOT wider than a stock 1600.

My old Bug received a Baja kit during the time I owned it. After the rear cage bumper was removed the engine could come out with a quickness
Old 6 Days Ago   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfarr56 View Post
Or a leaky fuel hose....
lol, that caused a fire on my fathers
Old 6 Days Ago   #13

Quote:
lol, that caused a fire on my fathers

Oooh, I suddenly remember being out of state with my parents and they got a call from (the neighbor taking care of the house while we were away) that my bug had dumped an entire tank of gas all over the garage floor. Rotten fuel hose. Could have been a disaster for sure. They pushed it outside and aired out the garage and house.
Old 6 Days Ago   #14
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Oooh, I suddenly remember being out of state with my parents and they got a call from (the neighbor taking care of the house while we were away) that my bug had dumped an entire tank of gas all over the garage floor. Rotten fuel hose. Could have been a disaster for sure. They pushed it outside and aired out the garage and house.
Wow!

I learned about that black braided cloth-covered fuel hose with my first BMW motorcycle in 1980 (later, actually, when the rubber got old). But I was so enamoured with it's look, I couldn't make myself switch to "modern" fuel line.
I just replaced it every few years.

Never had the joy of owning an air cooled V dub.

I was a BIG F'n Fan of John Muir, though! I bought the VW book for the pictures and wonderful writing; one from his "group" for the 2nd Gen Civic (my first new car!), and, of course, The Velvet Monkeywrench (sigh <3).

Both books have been sold. Pretty much all of my possessions are up for grabs these days, save my computer, TV, and stereo and speakers (and couch, from which I type this). I am 61, and trying to lighten my load, in case someone invites me to move out to Oregon or something...