Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Air con pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muvoda57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Air con pump

Hi guys I need some help, took my 09 plate 1.8 GT for an air con top up and was told that my clutch on my pump was not engaging so no air con, the guy at my garage tried shorting 3/5 on relay to engage clutch with no joy, pump is not spinning at all so he advised me to buy another one. £200 on various sites I've looked at(gawd! might just drive around with the windows open) anyway I've got the chance to buy one for £100 s/hand, but someone told me that it has to be identical and might need to be re coded as the ECU will not recognise it, is this correct? Regards muvoda57.
Old 07-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Air con pump

I have never heard of a clutch needing to be recoded or match the ECU...maybe I missed that.
Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Thank you GolNat for your reply, I honestly think that what I was told was BS! So can you or anyone else PLEASE help with my next conundrum, as you know my air con pump has seized and I have got the chance to buy one for £100 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than Honda main dealers, the problem I've got is the SANDEN INT (USA) pump has the Honda part No 38800-RNC-Z020-M2 on it( that is the one I am buying) but when I rang Honda main dealers they said that it doesn't show up on there system, so they gave me this part No 38810-RNA-004 and said(get this) £885 WITHOUT the clutch assembly!! The clutch assembly is another £305 shocking eh! Now what I think I've found out (this is when I need some confirmation) that BOTH are the same and it will fit my car, different part No's, so could I ask you guys to confirm or not as the case maybe. Really appreciate any help at all guys. Regards muvoda57
Old 07-17-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I have now way of looking up parts other then searching for parts by VIN on a OEM parts website which won'y help you being out of the US.

Maybe you can remove the broken one and compare it to the cheaper one before purchase. From what I could Google they looked to be the same. Maybe one is a newer replacement for the older one.
Old 07-17-2018
Registered!!

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'm not in the US cuz I'm using a VPN lol!, I don't know if you have heard of it, but it hides your ip address, anyway I've done some research and from what I can make out is, they are both the same, the only difference is 1 is made in the US (SANDEN) and the other is, ohh I don't know probably Japanese, so I'm picking one up this Fri from Birmingham UK not Birmingham Alabama US!! also, IF this pump is wrong then I've seen a video on YouTube that shows taking the front off (clutch) and gently grinding the centre off (about the width of a penny)and it is supposed to work, if that fails then I'll drive round with the windows open!! I'll let you know how I get on next week sometime, take care speak soon. Regards muvoda.
Old 08-17-2018
Registered!!

Hi, to anyone who this concerns, in my previous posts I stated that Honda UK quoted me £880 (without clutch) for an air con pump, the clutch was an extra £300 (scandalous don't you think) anyway I managed to get a second hand one (not Japanese ) but American, Sanden in fact, different part No from Honda but still the same pump, bought for £100 and it fitted and works great, so my motto is, always shop around guys, it paid off for me, do your research and maybe just maybe you will be quids in. Take it easy guys. muvoda57.
Old 08-17-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Over here in the US Honda sells all external parts for the original compressors. If yours needs a field coil you can buy it separate from the rest of the compressor.

Test resistance first to verify that's the issue. I'd go ahead and replace the pulley/clutch set at the same time.

Lings (Ling?) Honda is a european site i was using for a while

Last edited by ezone; 08-18-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2018
Registered!!

Thank you ezone for the info, I will bear that in mind, but as the clutch seized on my old pump, the second hand one I'm using now has done the trick. Regards muvoda57