Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Question about starter that's going bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dotdotdot is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about starter that's going bad

Hey guys.
The other day my 2007 civic had a very hard start when trying to start with a hot engine (ran a quick errand and tried to start the car about 5 minutes after shutting it off)

It was a slow, hard start. It took two or three tries.

I've noticed some other slightly hard starts before this but nothing really serious.

I took it into my shop and they said it was the starter.

I have had no problems starting it in the past few days since I brought it in. Starts right up no matter what.

If it is the starter, realistically, how long can I put this off? Will it just not start one day or will I have some signs that I need to take it in ASAP?

I just can't spend over $600 on this right now.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Question about starter that's going bad

Originally Posted by dotdotdot
If it is the starter, realistically, how long can I put this off? Will it just not start one day or will I have some signs that I need to take it in ASAP? I just can't spend over $600 on this right now.
Do you have towing through your auto insurance or AAA? if not can you afford a towing bill if you are stranded due to a no-start situation?

If the starter is intermittent it's on it's way out and no one can tell you how long it will remain intermittent before it finally stops working. If it does fail in the meantime you can try tapping on it with a tire iron (in trunk). If you can change it out yourself a used OEM starter should be less than $75 junkyards. Aftermarket new or remanufactured $150 or less. You may even find a shop in your area that rebuilds starters.
Old 07-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Do you have towing through your auto insurance or AAA? if not can you afford a towing bill if you are stranded due to a no-start situation?

If the starter is intermittent it's on it's way out and no one can tell you how long it will remain intermittent before it finally stops working. If it does fail in the meantime you can try tapping on it with a tire iron (in trunk). If you can change it out yourself a used OEM starter should be less than $75 junkyards. Aftermarket new or remanufactured $150 or less. You may even find a shop in your area that rebuilds starters.
Thanks!
I do have 100 miles of towing through AAA
If it has only started hard once in the past week does that mean I have more time? I'm not familiar with starters. Do they just die with no warning or will I have more hard starts before it actually goes?

Last edited by dotdotdot; 07-07-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong

Also, is there an easy way to know where the starter is in my engine bay if I need to tap it? I'm having a hard time finding a diagram
Old 07-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It will continue to not work intermittently, until it doesn't work at all.
Replace it now before it leaves you stranded at the worst possible time and place.

You can't reach the starter from above, you would need to be under the car.
Old 07-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
It will continue to not work intermittently, until it doesn't work at all.
Replace it now before it leaves you stranded at the worst possible time and place.

You can't reach the starter from above, you would need to be under the car.
I just don't have the money right now, which is why I'm asking here. To try and get a gauge of how long I have.

It just seems odd since it only hard started once and I have had no other issues since.

Does someone have a diagram of where the starter is underneath in case I need to tap it?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

1.8L engine: It's under the intake manifold on the back of the block.