Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Coil Overs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpacemanBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Coil Overs?

What exactly are coil overs? What is the preformance difference between these and just getting new springs and shocks?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DcatStylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Basically, the biggest thing about coilovers (to me, at least) is that they can be adjusted... So, you can tweak your suspension to drop just as low as you want - and not be stuck with the 1 height that new springs would get you. Plus, if you wanted to take 3 fine girlies out in your civic, the ride height would drop a bit. Before taking them out, you could adjust the coils back up about an inch - inch and 1/2.
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

SpacemanBob is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks, that's helpful, but I still don't understand WHAT coil-overs are. How do they differ physically, not preformance-wise, from regular shocks and springs? thanks!!!
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

Basically, coil overs replace the stock springs. When I first installed mine, I thought I had the wrong ones, because coil overs are only big enough to juuuust fit over the stock shocks. I don't know what other coil overs look like, but my Ground Control coilovers with Neuspeed springs have gold adjustment rings and a sort of maroonish/red colored spring. If you were to try to make a perfect circle with your thumb and index finger on your right hand, that would be about how wide they are. The fact that you can manually tweak the height gives you the advantage of a much stiffer ride. Coil overs are definately best performance wise.
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

SLeePeR012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Spaceman, DcatStylee has the right idea in a sense but I kno he's giving you the wrong idea, it's not jus adjust it and adjust it back all the time. It's not like you jus "tweek" it and jus ride and "tweek" it back whenever". The best coils out for our ride is Ground Control. Coils are like springs except they have an adjustable coil that goes over the springs so you can adjust it. Ground controls are good because they use Eibach springs. When you buy coils you also get springs with them. Eibach makes springs called Sport Lines. These springs are really good I believe a 1.3 drop both front and rear. Ground control is a coil that rides over these springs. WHen you adjust your coils you need to get your ride alligned up cuz you don't kno if you dropped your car exactly the same hieght in each corner, this costs more money. They are not like adjustable shocks where it clicks and you kno exactly wha you are getting on each corner of your ride. Also when you buy coils you need a camber kit, this helps your struts to stay stiff and not bend cuz of course ppl who buy coils arnt lookin for a weak 1 inch drop, they bought coils so they have the choice to slam their cars. The ride is a lot different too. Coils u are gonna feel some bumpiness Springs you are not, they are more stiff and the drop isnt too intense for our cars.
:Jus some words of wisedom:
If ur gonna get coils go with = Ground Control dont get Arospeed and R1 they are NOT GOOD and u hear a lot of problems about them
If you go with coils buy a camber kit and struts, you can wait for the tokicos where you can adjust their hieghts and stiffness (this is an awesome option) otherwise you can get Koni Yellos, not bad but you can't adjust them, but like i said, they work really well, plus we dont kno when tokicos will release the struts and Konis have them out already.
Springs, go wit = Eibach Sport Lines or Neuspeed Sports but everything else will prolly work well.
AND one last thing... DO A SEARCH MAN! you cna learn a lot. jus type in "coil" or sumptin..
GOOD LUCK!
-Lou
Old 04-28-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Basically, the biggest thing about coilovers (to me, at least) is that they can be adjusted... So, you can tweak your suspension to drop just as low as you want - and not be stuck with the 1 height that new springs would get you. Plus, if you wanted to take 3 fine girlies out in your civic, the ride height would drop a bit. Before taking them out, you could adjust the coils back up about an inch - inch and 1/2. >>

Sounds like some serious weight there. Fat chicks? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-28-2002
Premium Member

LINK TO GROUND CONTROL
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

(and oh yeah, I meant that I have Eibach, not Neuspeeds. )
Bart, I think it's like... 1 inch of droppage for every 250 pounds of woman. So, 3 100 lb chicks would take my tires right into the fender. That would be rough... very rough...
Old 04-28-2002
Premium Member

Maybe a cheap way to slam your car. But those chicks might be expensive to feed. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

Hrm... on that subject... wouldn't it be cheaper to house drunk hobos in the truck? I mean... they sleep a lot, and they'll talk to themselves - so you don't need to keep them company... [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]