Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Ingalls Rear Camber Kit Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Ingalls Rear Camber Kit Weirdness

I ordered the polyurethane one from a group buy and when i got it I was kinda like WTF! It had two little washers with teeth on them and they were pushed on and they scratched the paint and they didn't get pushed on evenly either. Scratching was normal I guess, but the way it was assembled made me want to cry. I went to Home Depot (home improvement store in the US) and got a scrap piece of pipe for free. Then I used it to take apart the camber kit. I took it apart, I greased the polyurethane bushings, and I put the whole thing back together. I tried not to generate any new scratches from the teeth on the washers. I think I did a pretty good job.

Anyway, hopefully now they won't squeek. I remember that someone else had a problem with that. So... Build quality of the individual parts is okay, but the way they're assembled sucks! I also had to clean the threads with some WD-40. Not just the outer threads, but the inner threads. That was tough. It took me a while, but now verything glides very smoothly. I'm concerned that the threads have so much space to wiggle around though. Maybe I should use some kind of thick compound to take up the slack? Does anyone know of any products are meant to do this?
Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

zappa is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate to ask this , but are you absolutley sure the kit is a genuine Ingalls? I just removed mine and do not see the scratching you speak of . I did have trouble with the squeeking but I sprayed the poly bushings with a WD-40 type lube and it cured it . The threads on mine had zero play also and didnt require any clean up. M aybe yours were just manufactured on a friday................
Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
i still cant figure out why u decided to buy the camber kits PRIOR to lowering.....most interesting [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

When I lowered my car I installed the kit at the same time..... When I removed the coilovers ( the ride was unbearable) I also removed the camber kit and reinstalled the factory rear arm and front bolt with the factory struts.
Old 04-23-2002
DIY King

<< I hate to ask this , but are you absolutley sure the kit is a genuine Ingalls? >>

Pretty sure. I posted the pics one daqy and nobody gasped in horror. That and the box and instructions all say Ingalls.

<< i still cant figure out why u decided to buy the camber kits PRIOR to lowering.....most interesting [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] >>

Basically because If I get rims people will say, "Lower it!". If I lower it people are going to say, "Fix your camber!". I just don't want to hear them say either of these things. That and the fact that I'm kinda forcing myself to buy everything else by doing this.

<< When I lowered my car I installed the kit at the same time..... When I removed the coilovers ( the ride was unbearable) I also removed the camber kit and reinstalled the factory rear arm and front bolt with the factory struts. >>

You meen that the ride was unbearable with just the camber kit installed?
Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

why not just do it all at the same time?? struts, springs, rims, and camber kits, along w/ a good ole' alignment [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-23-2002
DIY King

Besides the fact that it costs a ton of money? No reason. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Serisously though. I'll put these on and then I'll put struts on. Then coilovers. Or coilover shocks (don't know which yet). Then rims. You can put stuff on "backwards", or all at once. Whatever.
Old 04-23-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought my ProKit when I had some money. They sat for awhile. The I got my Koni's and I didn't want to mod my original struts. So when I got more money, I got a pair of used struts and built them. So then I had all my stuff and when I got more money I took it all and paid the guy to install them all at once. Nothing wrong with doing it any way you want to. Sometimes it depends on which you have more of.........time or money.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
What are the differences between the poly kits and the rubber kits besides sports and street use. What are the real advantages and disadvantages???[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-24-2002
DIY King

Well... It's like this: If you buy a really stiff sway bar and the rest of the bushings in the rear suspension are rubber, then it would lessen the effectiveness of the sway bar a little. The sway bar would have more room to move around before it does its job. Even without a sway bar, the stiffer the suspension the better the car will be around corners. This tires will stay more level with the ground and you won't lose as much traction as you would with rubber bushings. One of the disadvantages of poyurethane is that it needs to be lubricated every once in a while. If you don't lubricate it, it'll squeek. Besides that, the ride gets more bumpy because all of the tiny vibrations that were soaked up by the rubber bushings will be transfered to the body of the car.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

grey, i now understand your reasonings for doing things backwards, but one thing that i MUST disagree w/ you on is the shocks/struts and then springs...DEFinetly do them at the SAME time....why bother doing the same job twice!? that is not exactly an EASY job!

peace, mark
Old 04-24-2002
DIY King

Hum... Yeah. I guess that depends on what I'm going to get. If I get coilover struts then I'll just install them as a single unit without any problems. If I get Koni's and GC coilovers for example, then I guess it would be smart to install them at the same time. Right now I have more time than money, so that's why I was thinking of installing them separately.
Old 04-24-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder if anyone makes nylon bushings. Those would be "self lubricating". Lots of small gears, etc are nylon.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

No grey, the coilovers made the ride unbearable, I actually bought a used set of factory struts to install my coilovers onto and maintained the original factory struts.I had the camber kit installed when I lowered the car but I hated the ride and regretted doing it ( installing the coilovers and lowering )so I removed the coilover and strut assembly and reinstalled everything back to factory. If I lower it again Ill do so with Konis and Eibachs!