Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

K20 in your 2k1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercivic is an unknown quantity at this point

<< i dont want to be just a straight line car like all the domestics out there. i want all around performance. >>

True dat

Redfog- It's a K20A2. The guy bought it to drop into his 6thgen civic, but it doesnt look possible, that's why it's so cheap.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

DC5@EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i hate to break this to who ever said that they would like to have a 200hp civic with the type s engine, but when you actually dyno the car, you will only have like 160hp at the wheels. its the same with all of the cars. Like our cars arent 127hp, they are like 110hp at the wheels, and the new si isnt 160hp, its more like 135-140hp, and the type s engine is like 167hp. So, technically, it does work out to be the same but when you really think about it, it isnt. Just some food for thought.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

oh another thing i was thinkin, are we gonna have change anything over to go from a 5 to a 6 speed manual? I know when you usually buy an engine, the tranny comes with it, but will we have to change anything for it to work?
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

AlphaInfinity is an unknown quantity at this point
Another BS thread. I am getting so sick of seeing these. If you want more engine, TRADE IN THE CAR. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Okay, I was at the International Auto Salon and talked to HASport in person. I talked to the ower and the main engineer.

At first I saw an Si and thought big deal. Then I looked at the engine bay and saw an RSX type S emblem on the motor. Now they had my attention.

Then I asked what about the 2k1? Big smiles from both of them. Seems now they had an EX and the left over motor. Hasport makes full blown kits to install motors that were supposed to be impossible to transplant. And now they have a new dream.

They are not going to just do one. They are going to make a full blown kit, with instructions, wiring harness, and special parts. So if they pull this off, almost anyone can do the swap.

As far as mods go. There were two turbo prototypes for the RSX, and one Supercharger.

HKS does not know if they are going to attept to pass CARB, so for now, the turbo kit for our cars is on hold. Maybe they will release the manifold and let us do it ourselves.

Greddy is only putting out an exhaust. Nothing more.

So if you want the looks and the speed, hope is on the horizon. He said the EX will be done for SEMA. I say we wait and see if he pulls it off. If anyone can, I think Hasport has the best shot.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

netranger is an unknown quantity at this point
The turbo kits , custom or otherwise will require extensive mods to make more than 30hp(6 lbs. boost), the k20 is a performance engineered motor, the aftermarker is gonna go bananas over this motor since all the new civ's and integras will be using this motor. I think weight difference will be a non-issue, maybe 20 lbs at most. Go for the swap if possible unless you want cheap easy power, N2O .
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

Jimmy Chang is an unknown quantity at this point
i would rather drop like a 1.6 or a 1.8 dohc vtec in with a turbo or something and still save money.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

artychris is an unknown quantity at this point
If the swap is $7000 for the engine/tranny/labor... then with my current wages after taxes based on 1.5x pay overtime pay... I'd have to work 9.6 hours overtime every week for one year. I'd have to work approximately 2 extra hours a day during my 5 day week or I can come in on 1 day for 8 hours and spend 1.6 hours extra on another day. Plus with my yearly bonus and sales incentives, I think I can do this within a year, well hopefully... unless rent goes down and utilities pay for themselves...
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

if you are referring to an older gen vtec engine (B16, B18, H22,etc.), you cant do it. I know theres a difference in how the engine spins. I think the older gen engines spin counter clock wise and the 7th gen engines and higher spin clock wise. Also, i have been told that with the older gen engines, the belts and pulleys are on the opposite side of the car. Thus, you COULD probably find a way to put an gen engine in our cars, but the price would probably be even higher than those lookin to put in a k20. later.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to start out:

<< EM Civic (01-up). >>

Thats incorrect. The 99-00 Si is an EM1. My ex is an EM2 dont know what lx and dx is. So the 01-up are not the only EM's.

As for this whole swapping crap, you see how there saying they put a K20A2 in the new Si. THE NEW SI ALREADY HAS A K SERIES ENGINE IN IT, THEFORE ITS ALREADY PLUG AND PLAY. With the coupes and sedans, we have a whole different engine, sitting the other side of the car. How can you make motor mounts for a swap that hasn't even been done yet??

If anyone should perfect the k20 swap into A 2k1 COUPE/SEDAN, its gonna be HTown.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

01EXtc is an unknown quantity at this point
i work for air ride and i can talk to them......ill call them in the morning and tell them ill swap my engine...i got that much to play with
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

RunawaySoul is an unknown quantity at this point
I am more of a purist at heart when it comes to modifications. Put an RSX engine in your car, it's no longer a Civic, it's an RSX. Sure, the look of another person when they realize they lost to a Civic is priceless. Still, it's not a Civic vs. Car A, it's now an RSX vs. Car A. Besides, the price of my car on top of the price of a motor swap will render my car's value to be around $23,000 in a perfect world. Well hell, isn't that the same price as an RSX? Why spend all that money when you can buy an RSX for essentially the same price, not to mention looks better than any Civic out there.

Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
"not to mention looks better than any Civic out there."

i'd have to disagree. RSX's don't look any better than a civic, just different.

Old 04-28-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Not to be a azz about anything but a few facts that I have learned from being a member of a couple message boards:

Many people are "interested" and will say that they are going to get a swap, but when it comes down it, lets face it guys, a swap is a bit out of the league for most "amatures". Think about it...we're talking about 10 grand+ in parts alone, and an unbelievable ammount of money on labor (unless your DIY)..... I'm all up for them to bring out "kits" or whatnot to do swaps, but I'm just trying to put out the facts....swap is not as easy of a task that most might think.....

P.S. Don't flame because I'm telling the facts.....you know it's true
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

silvercivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, so here is my two sense on this whole issue..... i am definatly going for the engine swap, i am sorry to say but the D series engine is a economy car, not for racing..... now the k20a2 engines are, they have a lot more torque and thats what it's all about.... not horsepower!! The k20a2 engine will definatly fit into our engine bays with no clearance problem, only problem is bolting it down...... that and you have to get a K20 transmission and driveshafts. But wouldn't that be worth it...... more torque stock, and it's reliable too.... i mean i am sorry to say that i would rather depend on a stock motor then a motor that has a not so reliable supercharger or turbo...... not to mention that i have read that it may be possible to swap the head from a S2000's(F20C1) engine and put it on a k series block........... you know what were talking about then...... so for all you who don't want to do the swap well hey thats your decision but when i pull up to the line with my HONDA ENGINE still in my HONDA CAR and smoke you..... don't get angry....... and anyways i am prolly gonna wait for the Type R engine for the RSX to come out..... then were talking major power!!!
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

<< I am more of a purist at heart when it comes to modifications. Put an RSX engine in your car, it's no longer a Civic, it's an RSX. Sure, the look of another person when they realize they lost to a Civic is priceless. Still, it's not a Civic vs. Car A, it's now an RSX vs. Car A. Besides, the price of my car on top of the price of a motor swap will render my car's value to be around $23,000 in a perfect world. Well hell, isn't that the same price as an RSX? Why spend all that money when you can buy an RSX for essentially the same price, not to mention looks better than any Civic out there. >>

I think this post is just completely wrong, no matter what kind of engine you have you still have a civic. That person still got beat by a civic. Some people just want to do different things, You could say the samething about any civic out there. There are tons of civics with engine swaps, you could say "well why don't you just buy an integra" It is the same principle.

Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

i agree with cowboy on this. I believe that if you want to do something to your car, go right ahead. I hate it when people say you should of bought an rsx. What im gonna say to them is, you should of bought a civic and modded the cr@p out of it. just my two cents.
Old 04-30-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
silvercivic01

The DC5 Type R engine is basically the same as the Type S, except that it has some higher compression pistons (11.5:1 vs. 11:1) and a more aggressive cam. jdmhondaparts.com sells the Type R pistons for around $250 and the Type R cams for around $650. That's $900 for about 16 extra whp (the DC5-R pushes 220 at the crank, compared to 200 for the DC5-S). Not too impressive, huh?

If you're planning to build a K-series all-motor application, it would make more sense to build up a DC5-S (K20A2) using cams and engine components from a third party manufacturer like Toda or Jun. I know for a fact that Toda has already finished up their cams for the K20A2 so they should be released shortly.
Old 04-30-2002
Registered!!

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks venomscivic i agree with you whole heartedly
Old 04-30-2002
Registered!!

kinda an off topic but about the k20 motors. If you look in the may issue of super street, they have the HKS rsx thats supposedly turbo charged and huge section on it with all of the go fast goodies in it, but what they "accidently" forgot to add in the article is what kind of hp gains its makin. Yeah, turbo sounds great; just as long as its not a 10hp boost. Im not sayin that theres only a 10hp boost but it seems kinda weird that they wouldnt list the kind of boost its producing, just thought that was interestin.
Old 05-01-2002
Registered!!

silvercivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the info htown..... i am prolly gonna wait for the prices to drop on the type s engine anyways....
Old 05-01-2002
Registered!!

insan is an unknown quantity at this point
do u guy know that all u need to smoke a rsx-s is a full exhaust with the hp header, pullys, cal, and either the glid racen head or a 55 shot. and you'll beat them every time...
Old 05-01-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
What's a glid racen head?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Are you talking about the Gude package? It probably won't have as much of an affect on the D17 as it did on the older civic engines.
Old 05-04-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
nice nice
but isnt it better to get the S or R engine?
like we have to pay out of our [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] for gude package and it gives lots of power
but its better to have a DOHC engine that will produce twice as much once GUde has a package for that too.
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
cant wait for companies to make mounts for our cars then im sooo in for swap!
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

JKEEZO is an unknown quantity at this point

<< do u guy know that all u need to smoke a rsx-s is a full exhaust with the hp header, pullys, cal, and either the glid racen head or a 55 shot. and you'll beat them every time... >>

hahaha.... do YOU know that when a person says "all u need" it usually entails listing one or two things and not a whole list

hahaha
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

JKEEZO is an unknown quantity at this point

<< nice nice
but isnt it better to get the S or R engine?
like we have to pay out of our [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] for gude package and it gives lots of power
but its better to have a DOHC engine that will produce twice as much once GUde has a package for that too.
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
cant wait for companies to make mounts for our cars then im sooo in for swap!
>>

hehe.... i cant wait until i graduate from hs so i can start putting in real hours at my job!
(coincidentally, when that happens will probably be around when companies will start making mounts )

i wish my parents would have bought me my car, because my 500 dollars a month could do some real damage (dont take that literally) if i didnt have a car payment
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

SiBorland is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if HAsport does come out with the mount kit soon, I might have a K20A3 for sale real soon(just gotta find the loot for the A2 first).
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
SiBorland: If you have the new hatch, you don't need those mounts. K20A2 will bolt right in the stock mounting points....hehe Why do you think I want the hatch?
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
for you people a week behind
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

SiBorland is an unknown quantity at this point
I know I wont need the mount kits, I just would want the mount kit out so I could sell my motor to another civic owner, but we'll see if I decide to do that down the road.

Quick Reply: K20 in your 2k1?