Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Bondo + Carbon Fiber + Paint results?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Bondo + Carbon Fiber + Paint results?

I just got some AeroCatch hood pins. I ordered them to replace my old Hayame hood pins. Upon the realization that they're gonna sit a bit different, I got the dimensions and printed up a template to compare the new to the old.

With that said, I'm gonna mount the AeroCatch hood pins at an angle so they point inward (so it's parallel with the top of the headlight, fat end toward the rear of the car, as recommended.. see photoshopped rendition.)

If you have any more questions as to why I'm mounting them like this instead of straight front-back or the narrow end point backwards, I'll get into that.

Now, empowered with that knowledge, Here's my question. The way I'm mounting them leaves one of the pre-existing hood pin mounting holes exposed. If I fill those 3mm holes with a bit of bondo then get them painted over, it won't make the paint appear different in the bondoed areas, will it? I do realize it'd be maybe a square cm that would be covered with bondo, and that hole's gonna get patched and painted over one way or another, but something little like that would trigger an OCD reflex and bug me.. lol..

Just curious..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg
Views:	1397
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	78331  
Old 05-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bondo + Carbon Fiber + Paint results?

not if you do it right, sand, prep, bond, sand, sand some more, prep, primer, wet sand , prep, clear coat, wet sand, wash, and buff
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, thanks.
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Welp, finished the AeroCatch hood pin install. Took about 4 hours, but I think they turned out really nice. Eff'd up a bit on the passenger side with a drill drilling out the mounting holes, but used about 6 drill bits to get from the pilot hole to the final size on the driver side, but still managed to crack a bit of the clearcoat while cutting out the holes

Now to go find a good body shop that'll paint the sides and re-finish my hood for a good price (unless their work is a-fuggin-mazing)

Pics later.. Only pics I took was from my iPhone and I'm too lazy to upload from that ATM
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Name:  Hoodpins.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  35.7 KB