Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Skunk2 catback system for $600 installed, and other questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DrStud is an unknown quantity at this point
Skunk2 catback system for $600 installed, and other questions...

okay I'll come right out and admit it. I know next to nothing about cars, but I've been looking into doing some beginning mods on my 2k2 LX. I originally wanted to do just a new muffler (Was looking at Flowmaster 50s/40s, and Magnaflow Street Series among others) as something to make my car more distinctive (ie loud as it can be without attracting major police attention).

But I talked to a local shop guy today and he said that just adding a racing muffler might actually decrease my HP. Has anybody tried any of these mufflers (Or any OBXs or Dynaflows for that matter) in their 7th gen and mapped any HP and gas mileage changes? I was only a little wary because it seemed the guy wanted to sell me more than just a $100 muffler, which leads me to the second part of my question.

The guy I spoke to then reccomended a full catback as a good way to actually increase (by 10-15 HP as he put it) my performance, and reccomended a Skunk2 catback. The price he quoted was $550 for the system and then 1/2 price the regular install at Meineke (So a $60 or so installation). Does this seem at all reasonable and/or a valid point?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing just your muffler wont do anything...maybe a tiny difference in the exhaust sound. Only way to get a power difference from exahust work is by increasing the diamater of the piping, perferably to 2 inches or 2.5 inches. With that dont expect anything over a 3-5 peak increase in hp, you will lose some low end torque. As far as which one to get, custom cat backs get you louder, ricery sounds, while pre made ones are of better quality and generally give better results performance wise. I was not aware of a Skunk2 cat back avalible for our cars yet, might want to check on that. Then agian I could be wrong. For a pre built cat back expect to spend around 500, and you can install it yourself, its all bolt on. Custom jobs genrally cost between 200-300 depending on the shop you go to and the muffler you choose (if you choose to have a muffler). Seems like guy is trying to rip you off because you are not too experianced. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

Skunk2 Racing Catback Exhaust is listed in the parts section and has been reccomended by several people, I assume it is available for my Civic.

And it looks to me like, after checking a bunch of the prices out there, that $550 seems pretty fair for the Skunk2. I might be mistaken, but doesn't isntallation require welding? Well, either way, I do not own the tools and do not know anybody that does and it would be way more than $60 to buy them I'm assuming.

Anybody else, experiences with the Skunk2 on your Civics? While I'm at it, how about the OBX Exhaust listed on the parts page? I see these sell for only $300, half the price of the Skunk2, but there are no reviews up.

As long as I shouldn't experience any drops in power, I might still just go for the new muffler on there. What results could I expect as far as sound out of that? My primary goal, admittedly, was for a better more powerful sound. Note that I am the kind of guy who will drive around blasting RATM out the windows just to pi$$ off those around me, so I want a nice sound to suit my personality. If I can do this without spending $600 or whatever on a full catback, I might just go for an OBX Bomb muffler or something. Though the idea of doing the catback now and adding a intake later is mighty tempting... but I just don't really have the $$$...

Any opinions on any of what I've just said? Feel free to go ahead and scream "YOU ARE A MORON!" and tell me what the right approach to this would be, because I obviously have only a small semblance of an idea as to what I'm doing.
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

Desi is an unknown quantity at this point
- my man, i was like the first to get the skunk2. i have a review in the review forum if you want to read it.
- 550 is a good price and the installation price is a good one as well.
- no welding required, just bolt on.
- but hey, when they install it, make sure to tell them to adjust the hangers on the muffler so the muffler doesn't touch the rear bumper. if it does it might melt it.
- trust me, i think its much better than the dc or magnaflow. plus its stainless steel.
- good luck man.
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

Yah I read your review and it made it sound really enticing. Have any pics/sound clips up anywhere of yours?
Old 04-19-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Kinda pricey for us in the Bay Area...we can get it out here for $460
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

It's times like this I wish I worked for a car parts shop instead of a computer store. Anybody wanna trade discount computer parts for discount car parts?
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

Desi is an unknown quantity at this point
- i don't have any pics, but predrito does in members rides. jblaze has the system but i don't know if he has pics.
- i used to have sound clips, phillippe01 help me put them up, but i think he deleted them from his folder. i don't have them on my pc though
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

StLVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
id say its a good price thats how much im getting it for
Old 04-19-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
The price is fair. It could be better however...I say go for it

Wait was that $550 including tax and stuff? If its plus tax then try and find another place...if we can get it out here in the Bay Area for $460 with tax then you can probably find a better deal...
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

No the $550 didn't include tax, I went to pick one up today but they siad I'd have to special order it, that they don't regularly keep it in stock... I'm checking out another place tomorrow, hopefully it will be cheaper... I'll post my own $.02 once I locate the damn thing somewhere locally
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh damn desi...I forgot I do have sound clips of your Skunk2 exhaust...haha I'm stupid! I'm pretty sure I still got them somewhere...I'll look for them tomorow after work!