Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

GROUND CONTROL ANSWERS, Why they pop, what parts are what, good stuff!!

Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
netcbc is an unknown quantity at this point
Are Ground Control Coilovers made of Crappy design??

THIS WAS MY ORIGINAL QUESTION BEFORE RHYNO ANSWERED THEM IN THE CONTINUING THREAD

Today i brought in my GC's to install, the mechanics gave me a no no no

They said that the top bearings on the GC's DON'T have any bearings meaning everytime i turn and stuff, i will hear scratching or popping, I said I heard some people greased it up since there was this problem, but they said that would only help for a short time and long term its going to still be crappy.
Is this true? People with GC's is there weird sounds because i do see that there is some wear at the top bearings since i got these used i can kinda see the scratchign marks already
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Snort2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know what your talking about...when i first had mine installed, i heard popping noises during the test drive, then i found out that your supposed to keep the stock "bearings" or that round black thingy on top of the springs. this will fix the problem, and i think thats what your supposed to do. they work good for me now, and i like em=) i have a pic of my GC's in my member's ride pics
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

so your not using those bearings at all now?
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

rhyno is an unknown quantity at this point
the only thing you should be greasing is the urethane bushing. It would be the same on any car with urethane bushings. As far as bearings go, the rear doesn't have them to begin with and the front comes with the top hat, etc. Nothing is being removed that isn'ty being replaced.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

ok........ so top hat is the red metal pieces right? those go in the front? and the urethene black flimsy thing goes in the back? ........ ok the mechanic was saying how the springs will rub on the top hat and make crappy sounds, i could see already on the top hat that it was being scratched away by the springs....... ????
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Rhyno answered all my q's but hopefully someday when someone search's for this they will get good answers, hers our PM disccusion

rhyno
Date Posted: Apr/02/2002 11:10 PM
the tophat is aluminum, at least on mine. it looks like raidens hat. those are strictly for the front. yeah, the flimsy black things are urethane bushings. tehy are for the rear. basically, they are used in most sport suspensions as they handle much better than rubber. those are what you may have to grease a little.. I'm trying to remember what else goes with the front... its been so long. i thing theres another piece that fits atop the aluminum hat, but i may be wrong. do you have any other pieces sitting around besides the springs, sleeve, and what i've lrady mentioned? Anyways, a few people did have a popping noise from the front but i never had the probem. i don't think they were installed right on theirs. hope this helps. let me know. also, try a new shop.

netcbc
Date Posted: Apr/02/2002 11:21 PM
nope just sleeves, springs, 2 tophats and 2 urethenes........

cause i'm thinking don't the springs rub up against the tophat realllllllly hard?...... they were showing me how dropzone tophats had bearings and stuff, so weird that ground control made the design so basic..... dang will the grease hold for a while though?

rhyno
Date Posted: Apr/02/2002 11:27 PM
the only thing the tophat is for is protection. it sits right on/in the spring. its basically so the car doesn't do any damage if it bottoms out. your spring aren't going to turn that much anyways, with the car resting on it. the tophat would be just as inclined to move with the spring. i can't see that there would be any binding or serious rubbing. a far as grease, use some heavy duty tuff and you'll be fuine.