Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

cleared headlights legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpacemanBob is an unknown quantity at this point
cleared headlights legal?

Is it legal to clear your headlights, like in the DIY on this site? Do you need to put an amber bulb in there for it to be legal? thanks!
Old 03-23-2002
Registered!!

QCKSILVR is an unknown quantity at this point
The actual clearing is legal, however the front turn signal must emit amber in color.
Old 03-23-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
it's better to check with your local law enforcements, it's different for eah state
like here, it's legal long as it's emitting a white or a amber light. they won't pull you over for it, but if they do, you can get a ticket for no amber deflector. better off just go get some tyc projectors, imo
Old 03-23-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, your best bet is to check with your states Vehicle and Traffic law to see the requirements for forward facing turn signal indicators. I know New York requires amber, and it is unlawful for a forward facing clear flashing light, however, I'm sure there are other states which permit it. So I would just check your state's laws.
Old 03-23-2002
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point
If anybody in Cali cares, it's legal.
Old 03-23-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think the headlights being clear would be ilegal in any state. Look at all the cars that come from the factory with completely clear lights. I am willing to bet that every state says they have to light up a certain color when they blink though because that is all that really matters. I mean why would anyone care what color they are when they are not blinking?
Old 03-23-2002
Registered!!

Duckor is an unknown quantity at this point
how do you find state laws? trying on yahoo and altavista and im not finding anything[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-23-2002
Registered!!

Mbow you are right about the law not being concerned with what color the lens is...I haven't read any law that says what color the lens has to be, I've only seen that the actual turn signal has to be amber when activated.

Duckor, try looking for your states Department of Motor Vehicles website.
Old 03-23-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
This is what i heard. There doesn't need to be an amber turning bulb but and amber reflector. They put amber in the front and red in the back to distinguish the back from the front. SO the bulb can be clear but there needs to be an amber reflector in the front.
Old 03-28-2002
Registered!!

sherwin is an unknown quantity at this point
y wud u guys want 2 clear ur headlyts? i think ur stock headlyts luk nyc.. here in d phils all civics come win stock ckear headlyts. all hv 2 do is change d signal bulb n its all clear... ive bin lukin 4 those headlyts bt theres nothn lyk dat here in our country [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-28-2002
Registered!!

Juggaman will become famous soon enough

<< y wud u guys want 2 clear ur headlyts? i think ur stock headlyts luk nyc.. here in d phils all civics come win stock ckear headlyts. all hv 2 do is change d signal bulb n its all clear... ive bin lukin 4 those headlyts bt theres nothn lyk dat here in our country [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] >>

"In English please...In English..." - Usual Suspects [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

I had them on my old car for 2 years and never heard a word from anyone until I put red bulbs in there.
Old 03-28-2002
Registered!!

uicmedruss is an unknown quantity at this point

<< ...Look at all the cars that come from the factory with completely clear lights... >>

Yeah, but every single one of those cars has an amber reflector on the front sides outside of the headlight assembly. You need a front mounted amber reflector in order to be DOT compliant. That's why the TYC projectors are able to be street legal, is because they have that little wedge. Having amber colored bulbs will prolly keep the fact that you don't HAVE the reflector from being noticed as easily, though...
Old 03-29-2002
Support your local 81

bhaz413 is an unknown quantity at this point
you need to have the amber on the side of the headlight to make it legal. personally i wont do it, looks cheesy. Same with those altizza's crap.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

GeNoZiDe is an unknown quantity at this point
I stuck on blue blubz all round

its illegal but wha eva [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
LOL havent had probz yet
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

galaga3 is an unknown quantity at this point
what if you left your lights clear, but had amber side markers, would that work?
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I did mine the other day and I have Xtreme PIAA bulbs all around and it looks good, its just dumb they even have orange on the front, I have seen even Chevy Trucks come from the dealer with clear corners on them with no orange. Yeah Altezza I just can't believe how much red they have, I will refuse to buy them until they get less red and I know people who will agree. I had all Clear Taillights, and corners on my 88 Civic and never had problems. So I mean if you like something different than stock tails then all power to ya on those. But yeah white and orange are legal here in Arizona, and never heard of someone getting tickets for cleared headlights.

Nick
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

mikepride is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive never had any problem with the police. From what Ive heard most of the time the cops just give you a repair order.
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

oblivious9 is an unknown quantity at this point

<< I don't think the headlights being clear would be ilegal in any state. Look at all the cars that come from the factory with completely clear lights. I am willing to bet that every state says they have to light up a certain color when they blink though because that is all that really matters. I mean why would anyone care what color they are when they are not blinking? >>

As long as it's stock, it's legal (such as mirror tint). Unfortunately, it's illegal in most states to have a white turn signal.