Lightened Underdrive Pulleys......Its ok to change the Crank!!! - Honda Civic Forum

Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2002   #1  
Registered!!

01Ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightened Underdrive Pulleys......Its ok to change the Crank!!!

3) "Isn't my stock crank/eccentric pulley a balancer, harmonic/torsional, or vibrational damper?"
A common misconception is that factory crank pulleys on certain vehicles are harmonic dampers. The fact is, on todays late model cars the factory crank pulley is designed to reduce NVH (noise / vibration / harshness), which does not affect crankshaft or bearing life. These are noises and vibrations from the engine compartment that may travel into the cabin of the vehicle when the engine is running and the stock crank pulley is used to reduce NVH for the occupants (similar to the use of resonators in the intake to quiet intake noise). We do not manufacture crank pulleys that replace or eliminate a damper in applications where the factory crank pulley is an actual harmonic damper (such as 90 degree V engines).

I pulled this off of http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_pulleys.html.
01Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002   #2  
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Hum... I guess. Kind of calmes me down and makes me want to buy a set now.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002   #3  
Registered!!

VTECnique is an unknown quantity at this point
do not change the crank pulley! you will blow your oil pump out! a few guys at my local tuning shop said that the crank pulley should only be used for hardcore racing, because of that fact.
VTECnique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002   #4  
Registered!!

01IncaPearl is an unknown quantity at this point
I changed the crank pulley on my Accord and drove it hard for almost 3 years and never had any problems with it ruining anything.
01IncaPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002   #5  
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point

<< do not change the crank pulley! you will blow your oil pump out! a few guys at my local tuning shop said that the crank pulley should only be used for hardcore racing, because of that fact. >>

What is the process by which a lightened crank pully destroys your oil pump?
Bartkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002   #6  
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
We need some good reliable information about the effects of switching out the pullies. Seems there is no concensus around the subject. I am interested also.
Mbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002   #7  
Registered!!

black2k1vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
You just have to match it up with a lightened flywheel!!

The theory is that a crank pulley disrupts the balance of the crank, therefor wearing the bearings and causing harmonics and unwanted vibrations that are hard on the bottom end.

Im gonna leave mine stock.
black2k1vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002   #8  
Registered!!

mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Think about this for a minute okay.. The Crank pulley is always under tension and being pulled in one direction from the Belt. see..therefore any weight or "balancing" it may have doesn't affect diddly squat as the tension on the crank pulley varies.. Turn the steering wheel.. the power steering pumps adds pressure, therefore pulling on the crank more.. he he pulling crank [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]..Turn on the A/C and deffoggers, crank your system.. takes more power to turn the alternator.. more tension throwing the pulley further off balance..oh my[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]....

in 90 Degree v-block engines this comes into effect more because tension is equal accross the crank pulley from the Timing gears and belt tensioners...

Hmmm I know it I Rule![IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

Cheers
Mohawk

P.S. If you want a sound syste.. DO NOT EVER GET UNDERDRIVE PULLEYS!
mohawkboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002   #9  
Registered!!

VTECnique is an unknown quantity at this point
thx 4 explaining that 4 me Black2k1vtec
VTECnique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002   #10  
Registered!!

ZZCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
If all this worrying is keeping you awake, then I would say DONT get em....HOWEVER, so far, in 5 years of use, UR has not had ONE engine failure......If a light pulley is bad, then a HEAVY one should be great....if you want to go by that reasoning. I wonder why race engines have such light pullies???? Hmmmm....
ZZCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote