I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

airbag light 2009 Civic LX Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rseward is an unknown quantity at this point
airbag light 2009 Civic LX Coupe

Bought a used 2009 Civic LX Coupe with the airbag light on. I took the car to my mechanic, and he when though the entire car for me, and did $1000 of neglected maintenance (all new motor and transmission mounts, new break pads, rotors, break shoes, drums, and crankcase gasket). I knew the car needed work, it was priced accordingly.

Anyway, he ran the codes and said the airbag light fault was the passenger side seat-belt pretensioner.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I saw a youtube video where a guy fixed it on an accord by cleaning the switch in the pretensioner with some electrical contact cleaner.

I'm going to give that a shot, but just in case it doesn't work, does anyone know if that part (the switch in the pretensioner) can be purchased aftermarket or through the dealer, and what it would be called?

Any input or experience anyone has with this is appreciated.
Old 03-18-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: airbag light 2009 Civic LX Coupe

Got exact fault code numbers?
There's a seat belt pretensioner.....but there's also a seat belt buckle pretensioner. Sometimes a skipped word changes everything

Yes sometimes I see faults that go away after simply unplugging and reconnecting.
For info, google search 'terminal fretting', 'microcorrosion', and 'stabilant 22'
Old 03-18-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Got exact fault code numbers?
There's a seat belt pretensioner.....but there's also a seat belt buckle pretensioner. Sometimes a skipped word changes everything

Yes sometimes I see faults that go away after simply unplugging and reconnecting.
For info, google search 'terminal fretting', 'microcorrosion', and 'stabilant 22'
i didn’t get the “code numbers” he just told me that over the phone. I’ll give him a call tomorrow to see if he remembers which it was.
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

So, I can't say for sure what the cause of the airbag light "WAS"; but I had some upholstery repair done (cigarette burn holes) and when I got the car back today the airbag light was OFF. They removed all of the seats from the vehicle, so I assume just disconnecting and reconnecting the harness to the seat belt buckle pretensioner corrected the fault (maybe a poor connection?). Anyway, I'm very happy that light is off ... Now I just have one thing left to tackle.... the TPMS light, I've already order all new TPMS sensors.