I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2013 Honda Civic LX Sub cutting out at high volumes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austin Akins is an unknown quantity at this point
2013 Honda Civic LX Sub cutting out at high volumes

So I have a Rockford Fosgate P3D2-12" 1200W (600W RMS) 2-ohm DVC sub that I installed in my 2013 Civic LX along with a Pioneer GM-D8601 1600W (800W RMS) mono D amplifier. I have it wired at a 4-ohm load. I used the KnuKonceptz Complete 4 gauge wiring kit. I never had any problems with the sub playing at high volumes for the first few months that I had it. The headlights would dim (expected) but the sub would never cut out or anything like that. After a few months, the sub started cutting out on me (wouldn't have this issue when the volume is low). It would cut in and out and then the cone would start pulsating and I would hear a soft kind of beating noise inside. I have noticed that this is not nearly as much of an issue when driving at highway speeds but it will cut out almost immediately if I am in a parking lot trying to play music with loud volume. It's not a overheating issue because if I go start my car right now and crank the volume up, the sub will cut out. I have checked the wiring and don't see anything wrong. I'm not sure what to do at this point so maybe someone can point me in the right direction. It just doesn't make sense because I could play the sub at full volume without any issues for the first few months. I was thinking maybe the sub drained my battery but isn't the system running off of the alternator once the car is running? If the alternator isn't adequate then why did this issue not surface for months? I'm sure you probably need more information so just let me know what else I need to provide. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Austin Akins; 02-03-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2013 Honda Civic LX Sub cutting out at high volumes

You could be clipping the amp and it’s going into a sort of protection mode.

When it is cutting out are there any indicator lights on the amp flashing or staying on that are not normally on?
Old 02-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
You could be clipping the amp and it’s going into a sort of protection mode.

When it is cutting out are there any indicator lights on the amp flashing or staying on that are not normally on?
The light that is normally blue will flash white. Today, I was sitting in a parking lot with the music playing at a very low volume (like 5 out of 40) and when I turned the bass boost **** up, the sub pulsated and made a noise. Does that help any?
Old 02-08-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It flashes white when it cuts out? If you are turning the bass boost up then you are probably clipping it not from volume but frequency. It should have been tuned and set up prior to using it.

This might be telling you something. Do you have the manual?
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
It flashes white when it cuts out? If you are turning the bass boost up then you are probably clipping it not from volume but frequency. It should have been tuned and set up prior to using it.

This might be telling you something. Do you have the manual?
I don't have the manual but I'm starting to think the amp or ground is bad. I will look up what that light means online. The sub will pulsate lightly sometimes even with no volume being played. I did set it up properly and it ran perfectly fine for about a year and then all of the sudden this started happening. I am going to check the ground this weekend and go from there.
Old 02-08-2018
Prelude Owner

Sounds like you are on the right path. The ground is a great place to start. It may have just come loose. I would inspect all your cables while you are at it.