I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Aftermarket backup camera installation - 2014 LX sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Aftermarket backup camera installation - 2014 LX sedan

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to install a backup camera in my 2014 LX sedan. I'm trying to test the camera and wiring first to make sure everything is right before I commit to attaching this thing.

My setup: I have a DOD RX400W dashcam already installed (has been running/working for 6 months now ... no problems there) and it's powered to the fuse box. This will act as a screen for the backup video too. The dashcam has a connection on its top for an aftermarket backup camera to plug into.

I've tried loosly connecting everything but it didn't work. Here is my problem (see picture with A,B,C,D,E). This is a picture with the camera (A), the trigger wires (B), the rca connection (C), more trigger wires (D) and finially the wire that plugs into the dashcam to supply video (E). The reason why there are two trigger wires is because the dashcam came with its own wiring to connect a camera (has trigger wires) and the aftermarket camera came with its own wiring to connect to the camera (has trigger wires). :P Anyways, the only way to connect everything is like in the picture provided. Maybe this is why I can't get a picture to show because of having two trigger wires with only being able to use one? If so, would cutting away the first trigger wire (B) and splicing the lines together work?

My next question refers to the second image: The reverse light harness. There is a brown wire and a black wire. How do I connect the trigger wires to this? Connect the red wire from trigger to brown wire of harness and black wire from trigger to body of car (ground)? Is it possible to remove a wire from the harness and twist the needed wires together and then re-insert them? Or should I buy a t tap and connect into it that way?

I appreciate any help on this. I'd really love this get this camera up and running (only when reversing, of course :P)

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup camera wiring.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	89912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170617_173511.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	89913  
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aftermarket backup camera installation - 2014 LX sedan

I'm trying to install a backup camera in my 2014 LX sedan.
Forgive me, I've read it like 4 times and I know I must be missing something here.

Doesn't the car come with a back up camera from the factory?
Old 06-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Forgive me, I've read it like 4 times and I know I must be missing something here.

Doesn't the car come with a back up camera from the factory?
No it does not. I have the Canadian model. I believe the American LX had a camera but not mine.
Old 06-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Canadian model. I believe the American LX had a camera but not mine.
Ah, I didn't realize this.

the trigger wires ...

... more trigger wires
Multiple trigger wires, you may want to check documentation or contact support for your dashcam and backup camera if possible for clarification.

I might guess one trigger is to tell the dashcam to switch the image displayed to the rear camera,

and at the same time I can visualize the camera itself requiring a power and ground source to operate

both of which would probably come from the 12v backup light bulb circuit.

My next question refers to the second image: The reverse light harness. There is a brown wire and a black wire. How do I connect the trigger wires to this? Connect the red wire from trigger to brown wire of harness and black wire from trigger to body of car (ground)? Is it possible to remove a wire from the harness and twist the needed wires together and then re-insert them? Or should I buy a t tap and connect into it that way?
Brown is 12v+
Black is 12v-

T-tap (with spades) is ok, so are Scotch Locks, but keep in mind they aren't the greatest and some time down the road (may be weeks, or may be several years) they may not provide good solid electrical connections.
They are quick and easy to install, but sometimes difficult to diagnose random intermittent problems caused by them.(a nightmare when an installer used many of them)

If I were making a permanent install, I'd probably use crimped spade or even soldered connections.
Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

Ah, I didn't realize this.

Multiple trigger wires, you may want to check documentation or contact support for your dashcam and backup camera if possible for clarification.

I might guess one trigger is to tell the dashcam to switch the image displayed to the rear camera,

and at the same time I can visualize the camera itself requiring a power and ground source to operate

both of which would probably come from the 12v backup light bulb circuit.

Brown is 12v+
Black is 12v-

T-tap (with spades) is ok, so are Scotch Locks, but keep in mind they aren't the greatest and some time down the road (may be weeks, or may be several years) they may not provide good solid electrical connections.
They are quick and easy to install, but sometimes difficult to diagnose random intermittent problems caused by them.(a nightmare when an installer used many of them)

If I were making a permanent install, I'd probably use crimped spade or even soldered connections.
All documentation and YouTube videos I've watched all have different ways of wiring. It's ​really hard to narrow it down to my needs, hence why I am here. 😁 And the fact that I have two trigger wires doesn't help. Though I have a feeling I should only have one. But like I stated early, this is the only way I can connect all wires needed successfully. The problem being the plug to connect to my HU has its own trigger wire, and the same for my camera. I think the camera is suppose to connect to the back of the stereo or something for a built in screen in the car.
Hmm, I just thought of something. To test out my "too many trigger wires" theory, if I can find another AV cable to connect to my HU that doesn't have it's own trigger wire. I'll have to see what I've got.

As for connecting the trigger wire to my reverse lights, do I connect + to + and the ground to the car?
Old 06-19-2017

And the fact that I have two trigger wires doesn't help.
Think of the pair nearest the dashcam as the triggers, and the pair closest to the camera as the power supply for the camera.

I don't have your instructions, but it seems to me both red and black pairs would all connect to the same power and ground source (reverse light wiring)

The RCA (video signal) could be considered an independent system (signal) separate from the powers and grounds, it merely resides within the same bundle of wiring

As for connecting the trigger wire to my reverse lights, do I connect + to + and the ground to the car?
Tap the ground wire at the reverse light bulb, or hard wire it to body ground.
Either way works IMO if it will satisfy the requirements of your accessories.
Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

Think of the pair nearest the dashcam as the triggers, and the pair closest to the camera as the power supply for the camera.
I think you might be right! I dug this up from the net (see diagram). It's from the owners manual.

Also, see this video -
Skip ahead to 1:19 and ignore what she says at 2:37.
I've seen this video and diagram before but they didn't make sense to me until you suggested wiring both triggers (one as power, one as a trigger).

I don't have your instructions, but it seems to me both red and black pairs would all connect to the same power and ground source (reverse light wiring)
Do you mean the wires (4 in total) could be connected all to a single bulb? Or might it be best to split them up to each reverse light?

Tap the ground wire at the reverse light bulb, or hard wire it to body ground.
Either way works IMO if it will satisfy the requirements of your accessories.
Do you mean tap the ground of the trigger wire to the black wire of the bulb? Is the black wire coming from the reverse light bulb its ground as well as 12v -?

It's been pretty hot here these last few days (and to come) so I won't be able to test these suggestions out for probably a couple days. I will reply with my results when I can.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-06-19-14-33-58.png
Views:	1683
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	89914  
Old 06-19-2017

At the cars' reverse bulb harness:
Brown is 12v+ (switched; only powered when the light is on)
Black is 12v-
So....
connect both red wires to brown (switched 12v+)
connect both black wires to black (constant ground (12v-))

only connect to one reverse light harness. No reason to string wires across the trunk to both.

When you run wire to the camera in the trunk lid (assuming you place it near the license lights), leave a long loop at the hinge area to reduce stress from flexing every time you open the trunk. When I did my backup cam the first time I followed the stock harness and release cable but the wires in the camera harness broke from flexing after just a couple years. Now I repaired it and gave it a lot of slack in that area.
Old 06-20-2017
Registered!!

Thank you for the clarification of how to connect the wiring. I'm always afraid I'm going to fry something. 😛 Had to make sure.

That's a good tip, leaving extra wire at the trunk hinge to alleviate stress in the wire!

I'll let you know how things turn out when I get the chance to work on it. I appreciate ALL your​ help and the quick replies. 😊 Customer service reps, take note! lol
Old 06-23-2017
Registered!!

So I tried as you suggested - I twisted together the red to red and black to black and connected those to the reverse bulb (I just pulled out the harness and stuck the wires into the sockets ... is that ok?), put the car in reverse but no picture on my dash cam. 😞 I did notice that after doing this, when I removed the connector (2.5mm jack) from the dash cam, the screen sometimes would turn blue or black with swiggly white horizontal lines. I would then have to manually power the unit off and on to get the front camera to display it's picture. Is this any help or just add to the frustration? lol
Old 06-23-2017

That doesn't sound promising LOL
Remember, I can only guess from my recliner and looked at the little diagram you attached in post #7, you have the actual electronics in front of you (or in the car)

Visit the websites of whomever made the dashcam and whomever made the backup camera? Can you find a troubleshooting guide or more instructions?
Old 06-24-2017
Registered!!

Had some spare time today and thought I'd give it another shot. I got a suggestion from a guy in YouTube. It was pretty much what you suggested, just the power source I connect to had to be constant. So the camera wires (B) connects to a constant power source (something that gets power when the car is turned on) and the other wires that come from the dash cam (D) connect to the reverse bulb harness (trigger wire).
At first the camera wasn't connected to a constant power source and the dash cam would change screens when put in reverse but it was solid blue. Once I connected it correctly to a constant power source, I was like Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura, "It's allllive! It's ALLLLIVE!"

Thank you SO much for your help ezone!! 😁
Old 06-24-2017