I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2012 Honda Civic - OEM Upgrade Options for Car Radio (Navigation)?

Old 12-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lacrossedad is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Honda Civic - OEM Upgrade Options for Car Radio (Navigation)?

Hi,

I own a 2012 Honda Civic EX-L (2 door coupe).

I would like to know what are the radio upgrade options for my vehicle. I would like to stay with an OEM radio upgrade.

In particular, I want to upgrade to an OEM navigation system with radio.

Please let me know what options are available.

Thanks in advance :-)
Old 12-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Honda Civic - OEM Upgrade Options for Car Radio (Navigation)?

Navi?
I just picked up a Garmin (with lifetime map updates) and stuck it to my windshield.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but it was cheap and easy.
Old 12-21-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Not a helpful DIY article just a question. Moved out of DIY section.
Old 12-22-2016
Registered!!

lacrossedad is an unknown quantity at this point

@ezone

I understand the Garmin suggestion and the benefits.

However, I'm looking for an in-dash solution.
Old 12-22-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Navi?
I just picked up a Garmin (with lifetime map updates) and stuck it to my windshield.
That is the cheap and easy way.

Sounds like the OP want's an OEM looking instal with a super clean look. I can understand that. I wanted Nav in my Fit not because I need it (I have a smart phone) but because it looks cleaner and integrates into the car seamlessly. It is nice having the larger screen also (though i can't change the women's voice).

Did that gen Civic come with a Nav option? Aftermarket might be your only option.
Old 12-22-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

However, I'm looking for an in-dash solution.
If you use an aftermarket head unit, you may lose much or all of the IMID display functions because they run through the stock radio.......OTOH the aftermarket is apparently doing a fair job of keeping up with the higher tech stuff in the cars, you should research what is available and see what it will take to retain those functions.

Did that gen Civic come with a Nav option?
Yes they could be had with navigation, but the nav unit is so integrated into the rest of the car, it isn't even funny. IDK how much custom wiring and whatnot would need to be done to adapt a factory unit into a car that didn't have it in the first place. I've not done it, and I don't want to. Harnesses are different, even the IMID display is different for a factory navi car.
Old 12-24-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Seems that will involve completely swapping the electrical/electronic parts of the car...
Old 12-24-2016
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an aftermarket head unit installed on my 2012 civic lx and all i lost in the IMID display was what it showed for the stereo. when i get to where it would show the audio screen it's just black with the odometer at the bottom.
Old 12-24-2016

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy
I had an aftermarket head unit installed on my 2012 civic lx and all i lost in the IMID display was what it showed for the stereo. when i get to where it would show the audio screen it's just black with the odometer at the bottom.
Good to know, thanks.

Search this Thread