Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

2012 Civic HF Odometer- No Display

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had a new set of Michelins installed at Costco. When I picked it up, they advised me that the odometer display is not working.

I surfed google and there was a post on this on this forum. But it didn't provide an updated solution. One advise was to disconnect the battery ( I believe I should disable the positive side). Then reconnect it after a fee minutes.
Is this the solution to "reset" the display?

I used the search function, but my cell phone cancels the pop up once I try to input my question.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 10-23-2016
Registered!!

I just posted this in another forum, and thought it's best to post in the the electrical section

After having 4 new tires installed at Costco, they advised me that the odometer display is not working.

My question is, what is the fix for this?
Should I simply disconnect the battery for a few minutes , so it can reset?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 10-23-2016
Registered!!

Re: 2012 Civic HF Odometer- No Display

Okay, I fixed it by disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes.....yaaaa
Old 10-23-2016
Registered!!

Yaaa, I fixed it by disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes.
Old 10-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There is a software update to fix this issue on 12 LX and HF.
Honda service bulletin 13-017
See your local Honda dealership.
Old 10-23-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Merged identical threads to consolidate.
Old 10-24-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Ezone,
You Da Man, thanks for the info. I Will contact my local Honda Dealer for an appointment and possible cost.
Thanks again

Last edited by 0396; 10-24-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2016

The update is for the radio, it is installed through the USB port instead of using the scanner and all the usual stuff they have been seeing lately.

IDK if mentioning that may change the cost estimate when you call, but that might make it SOUND easier/quicker/cheaper to the service advisor who makes up prices on the fly.
Old 10-26-2016
Registered!!

The update is for the radio, it is installed through the USB port instead of using the scanner and all the usual stuff they have been seeing lately.

IDK if mentioning that may change the cost estimate when you call, but that might make it SOUND easier/quicker/cheaper to the service advisor who makes up prices on the fly.
So, if the software update is for the radio only, is it a fix for the odometer falt too?
Old 10-26-2016

The radio controls the IMID display. The software is installed through the radio port (usb).

It's not really a simple radio anymore. Everything is a dang computer. This computer just happens to make noise and run (a portion of) the display screen.
Old 10-27-2016
Registered!!

The radio controls the IMID display. The software is installed through the radio port (usb).

It's not really a simple radio anymore. Everything is a dang computer. This computer just happens to make noise and run (a portion of) the display screen.
Just spoke with my local Honda Dealer, they looked up my HF with the VIN. American Honda shows no open "champaign " for the HF.

What is interesting is what you provide vs what American Honda shows in their data base.

Wondering if American Honda has depressed this
Old 10-27-2016

It is not a recall nor a campaign, it CANNOT be found on the dealers VIN inquiry/recall report.

I gave you the bulletin number. Make your dealer look it up in the online service info.

The mouthpiece you speak with on the phone does not fix cars and probably doesn't know the difference between a 96 Accord and a 2005 Hybrid Accord other than they all have 4 wheels (maybe).
They just sell work. Have the mouthpiece get a real tech.
Old 10-28-2016
Registered!!

It is not a recall nor a campaign, it CANNOT be found on the dealers VIN inquiry/recall report.

I gave you the bulletin number. Make your dealer look it up in the online service info.

The mouthpiece you speak with on the phone does not fix cars and probably doesn't know the difference between a 96 Accord and a 2005 Hybrid Accord other than they all have 4 wheels (maybe).
They just sell work. Have the mouthpiece get a real tech.
Ok, I visted my local Honda Dealer. Was given a print out showing warrenty cancelled 'x2016.

Service Advisor says to call American Honda.
I spoke to a representative name Clarry.
After I provided the VIN . She says the service bulletin does not apply. Also mentioned that I should not believe what is posted on the web. Added that I should simply take it to Honda dealership for a service....so they can evaluate vs myself / web. ....even though, by disconnecting the battery resolved it......Simply amazing throughout the years, American Honda customer service has gone down to the gutter. I also have a 2013 WRX STI, when I call Subaru Corp, they are more than helpful in their customer service....no wonder Subaru sales have double in the past two years.

Fool me twice ( first time when my new HF only had 20 miles, steering wheel was center off center , they refuse to correct, stating it was acceptable) and I'm gone.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 10-28-2016

After I provided the VIN . She says the service bulletin does not apply.
The bulletin clearly states it applies to all 2012 Civic LX and HF trims. Not limited by the VIN.

Maybe you can use google to locate a copy of the bulletin if someone has posted it on the internet somewhere.

Ok, I visted my local Honda Dealer. Was given a print out showing warrenty cancelled 'x2016.
MAYBE you've been going about this the wrong way.

Forget warranty. We don't care about the warranty.
You own the car, that means you own the problems that come with it.

The issue would have only been covered by the 3/36 bumper to bumper in the first place, your car should be beyond the 3 year limit, so your bad title/cancelled warranty matter would not have any bearing on getting this car FIXED at this point in time. You should be paying for the software installation at the dealers usual rate no matter what.

Pulling the battery cable only resets the unit, it does not fix the issue permanently. The issue will eventually return again unless/until this is fixed correctly.

I will strongly urge you to seek another dealership. Hopefully one with better customer service skills. One that actually wants to solve your problems (for a fee, of course).
Surely there's like another Honda dealer every 15 miles out there.
Old 10-28-2016

Wow. laptop snafu causes 6 extra duplicate posts LOL....
Deleted extras.
Old 10-28-2016

The steering wheel centering issue after first delivery....I bet my dealer would have taken care of it under the 12/12 warranty.
Old 10-29-2016
Registered!!

The bulletin clearly states it applies to all 2012 Civic LX and HF trims. Not limited by the VIN.

Maybe you can use google to locate a copy of the bulletin if someone has posted it on the internet somewhere.

MAYBE you've been going about this the wrong way.

Forget warranty. We don't care about the warranty.
You own the car, that means you own the problems that come with it.

The issue would have only been covered by the 3/36 bumper to bumper in the first place, your car should be beyond the 3 year limit, so your bad title/cancelled warranty matter would not have any bearing on getting this car FIXED at this point in time. You should be paying for the software installation at the dealers usual rate no matter what.

Pulling the battery cable only resets the unit, it does not fix the issue permanently. The issue will eventually return again unless/until this is fixed correctly.

I will strongly urge you to seek another dealership. Hopefully one with better customer service skills. One that actually wants to solve your problems (for a fee, of course).
Surely there's like another Honda dealer every 15 miles out there.
Thanks for your support and suggestion....knowing that the warranty has expired, I don't have issues with paying for the software update. But please allow me to express my thoughts....too bad I'm not near where your located.

The steering wheel concern was attempted at the original dealer where I bought it new, after they attempt to realigned it ( it only had 76 total miles ) ..call me ODC, but the steering wheel was a 1/4 inch off center ...dealer and Honda Corporate says it's "within " spec...and refused to provide any additional support - this is what I call half AS- Quality Customer Support!!

My recent concern with the odometer display, was addressed with another Honda dealership...this dealer did not understand why the official Honda printout has warrenty cancelled on it.

When I inquired of this cancelled warrenty with Honda Corp in Garden Calif....the response from the girl was, it's out of warranty..
If this is true, I would expect the 2nd Honda Dealer to be knowledgeable about this.

The 2nd strike regarding my overall subpar Honda Experience is, one would think that Honda Corp Customer support would know that the bulletin applies to "all" Civic 2012 LX and HF....which they denied by VIN.

If Honda Corporate fails to provide accurate information and support for both cases ( steering and odometer)....they simply lost my vote for any future new car purchases.

Over the years, I've bought 5 new Honda's- Civic's, Odyssey and CRV.

My experience with my new 2016 Subaru WRX STI has been great...with my local dealer and when I called Subaru corporate inquiring of the free first four oil changes and assistance with the navigation set up was great.
I guess this is why year after year Subaru's USA sales have increased 30+% every year.

Another thing Subaru does is to send a email inquiring of my experience with the call to the Subaru National Call Center..now that is being "Customer Focused ".

Last edited by 0396; 11-22-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2020
Registered!!

liz8888 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this same issue but my car is a 2012 Honda Civic coupe SI. My car mechanic has no clue.

Does Honda service bulletin 13-017 apply to my car?
Old 09-09-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

All you had to do was Google search

The following users liked this post:
h2ovillefolk (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020
Registered!!

h2ovillefolk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BrontatoChip......I called my dealer and they acknowledged the service bulletin....69.95 and they can do the update. I read in another forum replacing the #29 fuse (10amp) was also a fix....I did it and it worked, although I suspect it's a temporary fix as it's akin to just resetting the system. I'll see how long it lasts and might have to fork out the $ if it continues. Thanks for the information on the service bulletin. Cheers!