I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Installed wrong battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
line6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Installed wrong battery

2002 Civic SI. My battery was failing so I went to the local auto store and purchased new battery. They gave me the wrong model and when I connected it up, of course it didn't start and blew some fuses. I took that back and got the right model, replaced the fuses and now the gauges wont work and all the warning lights are on. It does start but I can drive it because the anti-theft won't recognize the key so it has no power.
Old 07-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installed wrong battery

It does start but I can drive it because the anti-theft won't recognize the key so it has no power.
Elaborate on this? You can drive but it has no power, or does it only run for 2 seconds then die?

Inspect every single fuse in both fuse boxes.
Old 07-23-2016
Registered!!

It starts. I can drive it but when the RPM's get up it hesitates and feels like it wants to stall.
Checked every fuse in the box under the hood and will check the fuse box under the dash and will let you know.
Old 07-23-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by line6
It starts. I can drive it but when the RPM's get up it hesitates and feels like it wants to stall.
So after checking the rest of the fuses.....assuming there is still a problem

Does the green key symbol flash while it the engine is running?

If this were an immobilizer/anti theft issue, the engine would be killed at 2 seconds.

Sounds like a failsafe or limp home mode. Got fault codes? Does a scanner still communicate with the PCM or not?
Old 07-23-2016
Registered!!

Checked fuses under the dash and they are all good. Yes, the green key symbol flashes while the engine is running. I will have to get hold of a scanner and check the codes tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2016

My battery was failing so
Um, what events led up to this?

Recent work done like alternator replacement/belt replacement, or a timing belt job?

Yes, the green key symbol flashes while the engine is running. I will have to get hold of a scanner and check the codes tomorrow.
Pay attention to whether or not the thing can communicate with the computer at all.

You've kinda described some of the symptoms that can happen after someone leaves the alternator bolts loose....the loss of alternator grounding can burn out the PCM. (bad ground cables/ poor ground connections to the engine and trans can do it too)

Loss of communication is one of several possible symptoms, along with screwy gauges and multiple warning lights....
Got a relay sometimes clicking madly behind the glovebox too?
Old 07-23-2016
Registered!!

No recent work was done. Battery was old and not holding a charge like it should and it was time for a new one. got hold of a code scanner and it does not communicate to the computer at all.
Checked the alternator, bolts are tight, belts are tight. I will go through and check grounds. No relay noise either.
Old 07-23-2016

got hold of a code scanner and it does not communicate to the computer at all.
Reader powered up ok(?) but no communication with PCM, this is not good.
Old 07-24-2016
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong model battery??
Old 07-24-2016

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy
Wrong model battery??
Probably a group 51 instead of 51R. Posts are backwards and if you don't look for the + and - before connecting cables, you end up doing harm.