I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Installing a different HU

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
callmegideon is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing a different HU

I recently bought a 2007 Civic that has the standard head unit installed. I was looking into buying an after market part that would allow me to control my ipod using the radio controls and discovered that my head unit will not display text from the ipod. According to the manufacturer the HU must be XM/SAT radio compatible for this feature to work. I've watched several instructional videos that show how to remove the head unit but can't seem to find information regarding what additional wiring/hardware I might need for installing a Honda HU that has more functionality than my current one.
Old 08-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhonda1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Installing a different HU

Usually when you do a head unit swap you just buy the extended harness from a Wal-Mart by a maker called scosche. if you buy a aftermarket head unit with XM/SAT built in, all you do is plug and play. The head unit comes with instructions on the color codes to describe what goes where. You can call Crutchfield customer service and they may be able o answer any additional questions you may have on this. A usb output on the front of a head unit is always ipod ready and it will say it on the box as well. Installation kits may be a pain to get at times but use Crutchfield or bestbuy to get it. Best of luck to you.