I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Upgrade headunit, keep stock amp

Old 06-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Upgrade headunit, keep stock amp

I have an 06 Civic EX with the premium (non-nav) system w/ amp and sub. My head unit is freaking out and changing inputs on me all the time. As a result, I need to change the head unit. I want to change ONLY the head unit and keep the rest of the system intact if at all possible (I can't see why it wouldn't be). The problem I'm having is that it's not totally clear how to keep the amp working. Every harness I can see bypasses it.

Is enabling it just a matter of using a bypass harness then manually running the turn-on wire from the head unit to the amp? I did some searching and everything I found seems to be people asking to do the opposite.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johng35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Upgrade headunit, keep stock amp

I have a 2007 EX with premium and NO nav as well..I just bought a Kenwood 691HD to install- and everything I researched has me bypassing the factory amp. The Kenwood head unit has enough power without the amp- which the factory lacked, so Honda put a lower powered amp for the premium sound. i think the honda facotry head is the same used in the standard stereo - so it needed some oomph for the remium sysytem and subwoofer.

I will update when I get it all put togehter...but I think you need to bypass it and will not notice if you get a decent aftermarket unit.

if you are going for a high power system etc- massive speakers and all that stuff- then you would probably redo everything anyway and toss the factory amp.