I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Radio quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
escknx is an unknown quantity at this point
Radio quality

Hi guys.

How's the Civic 8th gen stock radio sound quality in comparison with aftermarket ones?

I use only AUX and do not need any other options, I have pretty good source of signal(HTC One with PowerAMP player EQ'ed), and like how stock radio looks so I don't want to change it unless it produces bad sound (?).

I ordered two pairs of Kicker 40CS654 and also considering to get Kenwood SW11 small under seat subwoofer. I do not want to buy an amp, and sub will be connected to the rear speakers if I still need it after installing Kickers.

So is it worth upgrading to aftermarket radio if I do not need any functions like Bluetooth/USB/navi/etc.? Can I get good signal through aux with this stock radio?

Also who is manufacturer of this stock radio? Does it have enough power for proper supporting 4*Kicker 40CS654?

In few words I'm not going to shake the windows of neighboring cars but looking to get good amount of bass inside my car on low to mid volume levels. In the same time I would like not to invest in external AMP and aftermarket head, if that possible in my conditions.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by escknx; 04-07-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: Radio quality

In my 2006 LX the stock stereo was half decent, but did not come with an aux input. Had to install my own, and the quality was awful. However, I suspect that the stock stereo in the later years that has it's own aux input would be better, but not sure how much clearer it is.

The factory deck though, if you do not have an EX, is pretty under-powered, you really aren't going to get any bass out of it, without getting distortion by turning the bass way up(and risk destroying your speakers, on top of getting the bad sound from the distortion)

Really though, if it's possible, it's always better to just get a sub, let it take care of your bass, and let your speakers get the mids and highs, it will be a lot easier on the system as a whole.

My 2006 I replaced the entire sound system, here are my specs:

Added front tweeters, 140 watts max each
Replaced front door speakers, 6in, 160 watts max each
Replaced rear deck speakers with 6x9's, 500 watts max each
added two subwoofers, in a sealed box, 400 RMS each.
Subs are being pushed by a 900 watt RMS amp
replaced factory CD player with an aftermarket one, pushes 40 watts RMS per channel(as opposed to 40 watts MAX per channel with the factory stereo.

Everything I have is Kenwood, and I am very happy with it.
Sadly, that car is being passed to my wife now, as I just got a new 2014, will be re-doing it's sound system in the coming year or two.

Also, the factory deck will not be able to even get a subwoofer moving, you will most definitely HAVE to get an amp.
(Unless you have the Si with a stock sub and are replacing it)
Old 04-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
escknx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jordan1794
In my 2006 LX the stock stereo was half decent, but did not come with an aux input. Had to install my own, and the quality was awful. However, I suspect that the stock stereo in the later years that has it's own aux input would be better, but not sure how much clearer it is.

The factory deck though, if you do not have an EX, is pretty under-powered, you really aren't going to get any bass out of it, without getting distortion by turning the bass way up(and risk destroying your speakers, on top of getting the bad sound from the distortion)

Really though, if it's possible, it's always better to just get a sub, let it take care of your bass, and let your speakers get the mids and highs, it will be a lot easier on the system as a whole.

My 2006 I replaced the entire sound system, here are my specs:

Added front tweeters, 140 watts max each
Replaced front door speakers, 6in, 160 watts max each
Replaced rear deck speakers with 6x9's, 500 watts max each
added two subwoofers, in a sealed box, 400 RMS each.
Subs are being pushed by a 900 watt RMS amp
replaced factory CD player with an aftermarket one, pushes 40 watts RMS per channel(as opposed to 40 watts MAX per channel with the factory stereo.

Everything I have is Kenwood, and I am very happy with it.
Sadly, that car is being passed to my wife now, as I just got a new 2014, will be re-doing it's sound system in the coming year or two.

Also, the factory deck will not be able to even get a subwoofer moving, you will most definitely HAVE to get an amp.
(Unless you have the Si with a stock sub and are replacing it)
What was the head unit with 40W RMS per channel? I've never seen HU with more than 22W RMS pre channel(Kenwoods and JVCs). I got Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD cause Pioneers are the only ones that have time slider so I can easily jump to any part of song. Kenwoods, JVCs, Sonys, etc. have only forward/backward button that is not as comfortable. Today I've installed those Kickers to rear speakers yet on 07 Civic's Hybrid stock radio and can say that they sound even worse than stock speakers that weight as much as sheet of paper. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally install Pioneer and consider subwoofer then.
Old 04-11-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Replacing the hu and leaving the stock speakers usually gives better results then replacing the speakers and leaving the stock hu. The stock hu does not put out much power to successfully drive an upgraded speaker. It will sound better you replace the hu.