I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Audio upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rss485 is an unknown quantity at this point
Audio upgrade question

I'm looking to upgrade my head unit to a double din (possibly touchscreen) unit, but I want to keep the steering wheel controls and the USB input in the center console. Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2014
Registered!!

Rss485 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Audio upgrade question

Forgot to add, its an 09 Civic EX-L. If that makes a difference.
Old 03-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Crutchfield sells several different steering wheel adapters that work with most stereos. Some are direct wired, others use a remote infrared sensor to act as a remote control.
I am not sure how far the adapter connections have come but when I installed one in my 00 Durango, it required tapping into a wire in the clockspring in the steering column. They may have connectors that go into the harness now making it a low easier.

If the USB port is a direct connection then you would just switch the plug to the new stereo. If it is wired into the harness, you may have to run a new cable with a matching end to maintain the location of the port.
Old 10-26-2015
Registered!!

kingj25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also like to update my 2012 Honda Civics LX audio. I do not have Bluetooth in my car and I would like to get Bluetooth, however is there a way for me to get Bluetooth without having to install a touchscreen? I would like to keep the function in the steering wheel with the ability to change songs from the steering wheel. Also to keep the little screen that it came with as my viewer of what songs are playing once I get Bluetooth installed, so what are my options, as far keeping the function/ability to change tracks from the steering wheel and to have the little screen be my viewer for what is playing on my phone?
Old 10-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kingj25
I would also like to update my 2012 Honda Civics LX audio. I do not have Bluetooth in my car and I would like to get Bluetooth, however is there a way for me to get Bluetooth without having to install a touchscreen? I would like to keep the function in the steering wheel with the ability to change songs from the steering wheel. Also to keep the little screen that it came with as my viewer of what songs are playing once I get Bluetooth installed, so what are my options, as far keeping the function/ability to change tracks from the steering wheel and to have the little screen be my viewer for what is playing on my phone?
You can retain the steering wheel and dash controls with an aftermarket unit, you will need the right adapters/plugs to make it work though. They should be easy to find for a Civic.