I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

shielding an RJ11 cable from side pillar airbag

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moreaboutjesus is an unknown quantity at this point
shielding an RJ11 cable from side pillar airbag

I just bought a 2013 civic, with side pillar airbags. I have a valentine 1 radar detector and I want to install the RJ11 power cable along the driver side pillar, where the airbag is at, will that be a problem? Can the cable emit or cause any electrical impulses to activate or cause the side pillar airbag to deploy?

The RJ11 cable is plugged into the 12V cigarette lighter and the radar detector.

Do I need to shield the cable, or what would I even shield it with?

I have attached a picture as well to make it easier to know what I am asking.

Any advise, or any thoughts?

Thanks, Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DanAcivic.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	86230  
Old 01-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: shielding an RJ11 cable from side pillar airbag

No problem at all. The inflator (explosive charge) portion of the bag isn't in the forward pillar.

Our dealer accessory remote starts have the antenna cable run up the drivers pillar.

You probably should avoid draping your wire across the inflatable bag portion (which extends about halfway down the pillar), simply because it might be an obstruction in the event of a deployment.

You may just have to tuck your wire around the trim as there is a big trick to getting the trim off, the top fastener is non-reusable.

If you want to know how to get the trim off, look up accessory installation instructions for a remote start on that car. You can find instructions through this site: http://estore.honda.com/

HTH
Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moreaboutjesus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply.

So what is the accessory remote cable that you mentioned? Does that carry electricity on it?

I'm not really worried about the RJ11 cable being in the way if the airbag deploys, I'm just worried that I don't want the RJ11 cable to cause the airbag to deploy for not reason.

I don't think I'm the only person or first person to install a this cable for a radar detector, I just couldn't find any other posts on this type of question on there.

Thanks, Dan
Old 01-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moreaboutjesus
So what is the accessory remote cable that you mentioned?
Originally Posted by ezone
remote start.......antenna cable

Does that carry electricity on it?
Yes.

I'm just worried that I don't want the RJ11 cable to cause the airbag to deploy for not reason.
It won't.
You'll be fine.

HTH