I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

How to read the speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torontob is an unknown quantity at this point
How to read the speed?

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if it's possible to read more info like the speed, rpm, amount of gas left in tank, etc..from OBD-II port? if not, is there another computer port on a Honda Civic 2009 that gives me those readings? I think there are some aftermarket spedometers that mount on the dash, etc....so I am wondering how they read the speed and other info. Thanks.

Thanks,
Old 10-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to read the speed?

possible to read more info like the speed, rpm, amount of gas left in tank, etc..from OBD-II port?
Yes, all this and much more is available through the OBDII DLC on just a few data communication wires in that plug. Communication with the engine, trans, ABS, SRS, TPMS, Body Systems, Immobilizer.....whatever my scanner will communicate with comes through that port. There isn't any other "port" that I am aware of that is user accessed.

The aftermarket toys just use available data to display what they want and how they want it, usually only from the PCM data.

It's all just a matter of what the aftermarket toymakers have enabled or have paid for access to. I doubt any of them ever let you have the amount of data that is available to a real scantool.
http://www.plxdevices.com/product_in...MULTDM100OBDII
My HDS displays FAR more than the 26 pids that this toy gives you. All at the same time.

I kinda wish I could get some of the engine data and some other stuff to display on the IMID in my 12 Civic.
Old 12-06-2012
Registered!!

kylehondarider is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest the Scangauge II, they cost around $170 new but you can find them used cheaper. This plugs into the OBDII port and gives you all kinds of info like that and also fuel economy data. I've owned one for 2 years now and love it.
Old 12-07-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

I own an Ultragauge, it will do all of that and more. Runs about $70. Plugs into your OBDII port and you can mount it on the dash or on the window. I have mine mounted off the the right a little in from of my instrument cluster. Like this:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm