I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Accessory Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ntourloukis is an unknown quantity at this point
Accessory Fuse

I need some help with some blown fuses. I've got a nice new 2011 that I've had for a little more than a year now. It's been problem free, but I recently found an inverter with a US power outlet and a USB outlet. I wanted to use it just to charge my phone, ipod, and maybe a GPS. When I plugged it in, it didn't work. I thought it was the fuse in the inverter, but that turned out to be fine. I found the fuse under the steering wheel, and sure enough it was blown. I replaced it with the spare 15 under the hood and it still didn't work. I had the inverter plugged in, but it shouldn't have been drawing any more power than it takes to turn the little green "plugged in" light on. I checked the fuse and it was blown again.

As far as I can remember, I haven't tried to use the power outlet for anything else since I've had the car, so I could have purchased the car with this problem. I'm still under warranty, so I can bring it to a dealership I'm sure, but I just wanted to see if there is something simple I can do or if anyone has any ideas. It's not a huge problem, but it would set my mind at ease if I could fix it.
Old 03-19-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Accessory Fuse

Some plug designs can short the outlet and blow the fuse.

Your 2011 has the new style design outlet with the dished out center terminal ( O in center of ACC outlet)

Double check that no parts came off and are still inside the outlet. If you want to use this device you may need to get another 12 volt plug and change it out.