I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

question about hid voltage(55w)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grkkboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation question about hid voltage(55w)

I orderd 55w hids and they are to go into my 09 civic cffl projectors. The halos are wired to the low beam. The hids are for the low beam as well. A mechanic at a place told me if i put the 55w hids on while the halos are wired to the lowbeam that they would blow up. Is this true or is this guy trying to scam me for more money?
Old 04-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: question about hid voltage(55w)

from an energy standpoint, the halos use no power at all. they do, but its just a few leds and the power draw is so small (maybe 0.1w) that it wont matter. the real issue is using the thin factory wiring to power the hids (whether 35w or 55w doesnt matter). you should be using a new relay harness made of thick 14 gauge wire to power the ballasts. its not so much the actual running voltage that causes problems, its the massive amount of power the ballasts draw when first turned on and warming up the bulbs (first minute).
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grkkboy is an unknown quantity at this point

so i just need a new relay harness? Where can i get one? and i take it he was trying to screw me out of money that bastard
Old 04-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol try www.theretrofitsource.com and prolly call them up so you can explain what you have and what you need as far as plug and size types so you get the right harness.
Old 04-16-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, you need a relay harness. no, you don't need your money hungry mechanic to put it in for you. like gear said, call up TRS.com and talk to them. if they don't have the relay harness you need, then ebay does. they're super easy to install.