I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2007 EX Coupe 3rd Brake Light intermittant

Old 01-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wzahpnn is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 EX Coupe 3rd Brake Light intermittant

3rd brake light seems to work fine when I have the lights turned on, but during the day when the lights are turned off, the 3rd brake light doesn't work. Any ideas? Any help appreciated!
Old 01-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 EX Coupe 3rd Brake Light intermittant

you have the LED brake light which has some wiring issues for some reason. the unit itself is fine, but retrace the wiring and see if you spot a loose connection. it eventually taps into one side brake light (coming from the taillight). the 3rd brake has a simple two wire hookup for + and - input. also check the ground connections for the taillight wiring underneath the trunk panel where the latch is.
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin72r is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the 3rd light need a replacement bulb or LED strip for a 2007 Civic EX? The auto store told me it was a bulb, but my owners manual says the bulb is only for LX and DX models, but says nothing about the EX 3rd brake light.
Old 11-16-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the EX is a 6-LED integrated array (philips SNAP-leds). if it fails, you need the whole lamp assembly with leds inside. they cannot be removed and replaced separately. but like i posted above, the leds rarely fail. its the wiring that comes loose and causes the problem. you need to trace the wires from the lamp and see if you can find a break or loose connection. this is a very common problem on the 06+ EX civics and replacing the lamp assembly will not fix it.
Old 12-07-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Took a while...could not find in search, but this came up. Pretty common 8th gen issue from what i've read. hth

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...-free-fix.html
Old 12-07-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Now I am going to have to go look at mine, the other day when i was in the trunk and looking at the bottom of my speakers i could swear my third brake light was a regular bulb, did not pull it out tho..will check it out just cause now..lol..i have an 07 EX.
Old 12-07-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ It looks like coupe = LED and sedan = bulb.
Old 12-07-2011

Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

^^aye that is what it looks like. Just something I never thought about really.
Old 12-07-2011

I would love to get the hybrids LED asembly for my FA1...the thought of pulling that rear deck scares me too much though.
Old 12-07-2011

^ agreed, i like thier side view mirrors to with the turn signal. It just looks like a lot of work to take the rear deck out LOL. The door panels dont look to bad but i agree the rear deck is intimidatting.
Old 12-07-2011

Problems I see with turn signal mirrors.

1 = $$
2 = getting the wiring into the doors

I miss the days when all wiring was present, just not used.

Hell they did not even run the single wire up for the variable delay wipers for 06-11 my 05 was plug and play with a variable style switch.
Old 12-07-2011

Yeah i have seen a DIY for the mirrors and it is more work than I want to do..Everything should be plug an play now adays IMO