I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

After inspection brake lights are intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kdiamore is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry After inspection brake lights are intermittent

I just got my car inspected and before going I checked all my brake lights, all were working fine. I go, look at the report..passed, but it notes my 3rd brake light not working. Weird since it is LED and was working fine that morning. I check it.. sure enough not working. Later that day, I can see its working again from inside the car. I stopped at Target, came back out, not working. Now I had someone check my lower rear brake lights and the left one is out. Is there something they could have done at inspection that could've caused this? I think I saw them under my fuse box do they by chance plug into the computer or something. Any help is appreciated!

Almost forgot, its an '06 Civic Coupe EX

Last edited by kdiamore; 02-19-2010 at 05:08 AM. Reason: car info
Old 01-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wzahpnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: After inspection brake lights are intermittent

I have a similar problem...the 3rd brake light seems to work when the main car lights are turned on, but doesn't work with the lights are turned off. The right and left brake lights work just fine either way. Can't figure it out?
Old 01-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Most likely there is a bad ground connection causing the problem.
Old 01-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there are sooo many problems with those EX LED brake lights. not the unit itself, but either the connector plug or the wiring. i would start at the connector right near the lamp and unplug it. grab a multimeter and test light and probe the connector coming from the car side with someone stepping on the brakes. if it gives a 12v reading or lights up a bulb every time, then its the connector. in which case, you need to cut and splice the wires (and solder them) by cutting the connector off. if you sometimes do not get power at the plug, then you need to trace back the wiring and see if there is a loose connection.