I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Premium Speaker Replacements...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darita is an unknown quantity at this point
Premium Speaker Replacements...

I have 09 Si with the 7 speaker, Premium Audio system. I upgraded to a Clarion Max685BT. Will Polk DB651 speakers work as replacements for the existing 6 1/2" speakers? Will it sound any better with these Polks?
Old 10-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Premium Speaker Replacements...

it might, but usually with aftermarket speakers you need an external amp to really take advantage of their high power rating. stock deck or even aftermarket by itself does not give them enough power. stock deck usually 10w rms and aftermarket maybe 18-22w. most speakers are rated for 60-100w rms. and you want to give them at least 1/2 of that, preferably 3/4.
Old 10-14-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. So if were to install the Polks without the amp, how would it sound? I guess I wanted to do this in stages, starting with the speakers.
Old 10-14-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

eh it will sound okay, but you are damaging the speakers over time by under-powering them. for a while it may be okay if you have aftermarket radio putting out around 20w per channel and speakers with max of 60w. thats 1/3 which isnt bad.
Old 10-15-2009
Registered!!

Will the Polks sound better than the stock Premium speakers? If there is no improvement or it sounds worse, then I might as well wait for the amp...right?
Old 10-15-2009
Premium Member

yeah they will sound better than stock for sure. anything sounds better than the paper cone stockers lol. if you are gonna get an amp later but just wanna do one thing at a time, go ahead and put the speakers in now.
Old 10-17-2009
Registered!!

geenadeena is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi

This is interesting ,, thanks for sharing ....

Please contact me

Cassandra@sycodas.am
Leah@sycodas.co.ee
Penny@sycodas.gr
Kay@sycodas.hu
Priscilla@sycodas.ru

Old 10-17-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah they will sound better than stock for sure. anything sounds better than the paper cone stockers lol. if you are gonna get an amp later but just wanna do one thing at a time, go ahead and put the speakers in now.
These are the Premium Sound speakers and seem to be made of something other than paper. Can't tell for sure what they are made of. Are you still of the same opinion?
Old 10-17-2009
Premium Member

are you sure? even the accessory bass system from honda for the newer civics still comes with "upgraded" premium paper cone speakers. if its not a plastic looking cone, it is some sort of paper composite.
Old 10-17-2009
Registered!!

are you sure? even the accessory bass system from honda for the newer civics still comes with "upgraded" premium paper cone speakers. if its not a plastic looking cone, it is some sort of paper composite.
You could be right. The cone is blue and looks like it could be some kind of paper composite, but it's hard to tell for sure.
If I replace them with the Polks, will I lose any base?
Old 10-17-2009
Premium Member

i found some really nice pioneer 2-way speakers at walmart ($45 per pair, NOT paper cone) and just installed 4 of em into our 92 accord with 6.5 inch all around. they are 30w rms max, and they actually sound really good off the factory stereo. LOTS of bass. the polks im guessing are higher wattage, prolly 60w rms. they will prolly do okay with the factory deck, but i know when i first installed infinity speakers at 60w on my bone stock civic stereo, i wasnt too happy. there was a cleaner sound for sure, but not much bass at all. if you are not planning to amp the speakers later, i would stick to max of 30w rms like the pioneers. anything higher and you are underpowering them.
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

bigaudiofanatic is an unknown quantity at this point

it might, but usually with aftermarket speakers you need an external amp to really take advantage of their high power rating. stock deck or even aftermarket by itself does not give them enough power. stock deck usually 10w rms and aftermarket maybe 18-22w. most speakers are rated for 60-100w rms. and you want to give them at least 1/2 of that, preferably 3/4.
I agree with this. I also say if you want them to sound good and your entire system to sound good. Start from scratch and redo the entire system.
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
I agree with this. I also say if you want them to sound good and your entire system to sound good. Start from scratch and redo the entire system.
I agree. Best case, I'd redo the entire system and be done with it. Problem is...$. So, I saw these Polk speakers at 1/2 price at Frys, so I thought I could pick those up now and wait to see what amps come up on sale in the future. Till then, I wanted to know if installing the Polks would sound better than what I now have in the Premium Audio system from Honda, or no?
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

bigaudiofanatic is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it would help the audio, but your not going to be impressed until you get a amp to them and get your system done. Just take your time and buy one thing at a time. You will get a nice system.