I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Garmin StreetPilot question

Old 12-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ampex is an unknown quantity at this point
Garmin StreetPilot question

For anybody that has a Garmin StreetPilot GPS device in their Civic, I have a question for you. Does your GPS device automatically turn on when you start your car? My c330 doesn't but I had it previously installed in a Camry and it did. The place that installed it assured me they installed it correctly and even double-checked it. So I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the Civics's electrical system, but I thought I'd ask here first. Anybody have any info for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garmin StreetPilot question

Originally Posted by ampex
For anybody that has a Garmin StreetPilot GPS device in their Civic, I have a question for you. Does your GPS device automatically turn on when you start your car? My c330 doesn't but I had it previously installed in a Camry and it did. The place that installed it assured me they installed it correctly and even double-checked it. So I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the Civics's electrical system, but I thought I'd ask here first. Anybody have any info for me? Thanks in advance.
Yes, mine turns on automatically when the power source is connected. I'm using a Garmin Street Pilot c320. I don't know why, but it does turn on.. it is a bit annoying at times because sometimes I want to charge it, but it turns on by itself when the power is plugged. I think that's normal though.
Old 12-03-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, welcome to the site and do you have any pictures of your civic?
Old 12-04-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i used to have garmin streetpilot and yeah it turns on when the key is in ACC position if its plugged to the 12v socket.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

lakerecrider is an unknown quantity at this point

mine turns on as well...
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

Well I'm thoroughly confused... I borrowed a friend's device which is also a C330 and it does the same thing in my car... I have no idea what it could be at this point.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Let's say the car is running and you manually turned the GPS on.

If you turn the car off will the GPS turn itself off?
Old 01-03-2009
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

Originally Posted by christmaspie
Let's say the car is running and you manually turned the GPS on.

If you turn the car off will the GPS turn itself off?
When the ignition is off, yes, the GPS will give a 30-second countdown to shut off automatically, unless you use the touchscreen to cancel it.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 2005EM2
When the ignition is off, yes, the GPS will give a 30-second countdown to shut off automatically, unless you use the touchscreen to cancel it.
Cool, cool. My question was actually directed to the OP though. I'm thinking you have a setting different than his.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

No mine turns off after the car is turned off, as it should.
Old 01-03-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well if your 12v socket gets "hot" when the key is in acc position, then the problem is with the garmin unit and not the car. are you using the garmin cable that came with the unit to connect it?
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

I don't have it plugged into the cigarette adapter, it was professionally installed so the cable is hidden and plugs directly into the electrical system.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

Try this. Turn the key to run (NOT START). What happens? Does the GPS turn itself on or do you have to manually turn it on?

Either way, get the unit turned on.

Then start the car. Does the unit stay on or shut off?
Old 01-03-2009
Premium Member

sounds like they didnt install it properly. if the unit is getting constant power, it should come on every time. they could have either wired it directly to the 12v socket wiring (behind the panel), or even the ignition wires and it should work. when i had mine just plugged in, it would come on in ACC position, turn off when i started the engine, then come back on when the key goes back to ON position.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by christmaspie
Try this. Turn the key to run (NOT START). What happens? Does the GPS turn itself on or do you have to manually turn it on?

Either way, get the unit turned on.

Then start the car. Does the unit stay on or shut off?
When I turn the key to run, the GPS displays a black screen and says it is charging the device, and to press the power button to turn it on. After I turn it on and start the car, it stays on until the next time I turn the car off.
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Do you know what version your software is? I show the latest is Ver. 6.10 as of Jul 16, 2008. It might be helpful to update it.

I think the problem is in the settings. In the past I've installed portable GPS units with a Car setting specifically for turning the unit on/off with the car. But I looked thru the manual and couldn't find a setting like that.

Wiring sounds ok, they used an ignition wire most likely.
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Found this on Garmin's site:

Question: Why won't my StreetPilot c3xx power on?
Answer:

If your StreetPilot does not power on, or if it turns on then turns off, you can troubleshoot the problem by resetting or charging the unit. The reset is a "soft" reset that you can perform in the car; it restores power to the unit, but it does not remove data.

To reset the unit:

1. Place the unit in the cradle and roll it backwards slightly to lock it in place.
2. With the key in the car ignition, turn on the unit or put it in accessory mode.
3. On the face plate of the unit, put your thumb nail in the groove under the Garmin logo and gently pull off the face plate.
4. With the face plate removed, press the reset button on the right side.
5. Turn the unit back on. If the unit still doesn't power on, you may need to charge it.

To charge the unit:

1. Using the provided USB cable, connect the device to the computer.
2. Reset the unit (following instructions above).
3. Keep the device connected to the computer and allow it to charge overnight (7-8 hours).
4. After charging, unplug the unit and power it on.