I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Need Help: Factory Head Unit *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
Need Help: Factory Head Unit *UPDATE*

OK, so I'm kind of at a standstill. I've got the headunit on the bench, and working. Using the chart given by a member below, I got power to the headunit by supplying 12V to ports A2 and A10, and grounding port A20. That will get it to power up and function normally. Now comes the hard part. I'm trying to get the unit to accept an auxiliary input. From looking at that aforementioned chart, I hooked up a 12V LED to ports B1 and B2, with the logic that if the light comes on, it's supplying power to the "CD Changer." I have an iPod hooked up to ports B4 and B5, playing. So it's sending out a signal. I have wires hooked up to ports B8, B9 and B10 in hopes that jumping some combination will make the unit think a changer's attached, but so far no combination of jumping or resistors will make it work.

At this point, I'm starting to think it's going to require some expensive microprocessor to replicate the signals a CD Changer would send out. If that's the case, this isn't worth it. The whole point is to not spend any money, and I'll just move on and put it back in my car.

Pics:

Last edited by Unevolved; 05-23-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: New info
Old 05-18-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Factory Head Unit

blah, send me a pm. im too tired/lazy to crawl off my chair and walk to the bookshelf lol.
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

I got this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
02 vic.pdf (54.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-19-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Sweet, that could help. I'd rep you, but it won't let me. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2008

OK, so I'm making progress.

Right now, I've got my head unit mounted to a 12" by 12" piece of MDF as a workstation with a 9A 12V power supply, and I got power to it, so it thinks it's in the car and will power up fine. I had to connect both power lines, constant battery power and ignition-on power, but it's working.

Now, I need to get a speaker to hook up to it. I threw away a bunch of old blown ones that would have been perfect for this about two months ago.

Also, I need a CD changer harness, just the part that plugs into the back of the radio. But no one seems to sell what I need, or it's too expensive. I can work around that part, but I still need a speaker. Think if I wire up a headphone speaker to the head unit with the volume down it'll work well enough (won't blow the little speaker)?
Old 05-23-2008
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
Re: Need Help: Factory Head Unit *UPDATE*

ok so what i gather is your trying to use the stock radio? and tie in an i pod. or some other device. basicly you want to turn the cd changer into just an aux input correct?
Old 05-23-2008

Exactly.
Old 05-24-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

you do realize that they sell harnesses for that. correct?
Old 05-24-2008

Yes, for about $100, on average. The whole point of this is to not spend any money. If I were to spend any money, I'd replace it with this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...DUZ385&tp=5684
Old 05-27-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's going to be very hard without a working factory changer or something to try and decipher.
Old 05-27-2008

Yeah, it's back in the car. I decided it was going to take some microprocessing, and that's more than I want to spend. Might as well replace it, it's not worth it.